sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 31, 2022 7:55 pm  #1

Will Original Programming Continue On CFRB At 7 PM After The Election?

The Ontario election is in the home stretch with the big vote on Thursday, after a month of endless pontificating from the major party leaders and the endless "experts." Considering some pundits are suggesting there's not a lot of major interest in this vote, I was surprised that CFRB and its Ontario iHeart stations bothered to run an actual, honest-to-goodness live show from 7-11 PM during the length of the race. 

The question - what happens next week? Do we go back to the John Moore-Bill Carroll-Elias Makos hopelessly dated reroll package that was there before? I hope not, but I expect it will be exactly what they air. I liked having original live content in that time slot. It would be great if it continued, even on a network-wide basis. But I wouldn't count on it. 

May 31, 2022 11:47 pm  #2

Re: Will Original Programming Continue On CFRB At 7 PM After The Election?

Bell is all about doing things cheaper and cheaper.
If it's not going to be rerolls, it wouldn't surprise me if someone bought time for the evening timeslot...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 1, 2022 12:00 am  #3

I think I have my answer. I just checked the CJAD website - remember, the Ontario Votes show is only in one province. It looks like Montreal and the rest of the Bell Media Network have been listening to the old rerolls that used to occupy the 7-10 PM timeslot, with the Best of Evan Solomon taking up the 10 PM hour. 

Oh well. It was fun while it lasted. 

Last edited by RadioActive (June 1, 2022 12:02 am)

June 1, 2022 6:59 am  #4

Curious .. do station licenses include # of hours of "live" programming requirements?

June 6, 2022 7:29 pm  #5

We have our answer; No.

I understand Robert Turner is the new Assistant PD. Perhaps he'll come up with something.

June 7, 2022 9:03 am  #6

67GreenRambler wrote:

I understand Robert Turner is the new Assistant PD. Perhaps he'll come up with something.

I have no way of verifying that info, but I will take 67GR's word for it. Congratulations to Robert Turner on the promotion. Well deserved and I only hope it means he'll be on the air more often!

June 7, 2022 10:34 am  #7

RadioActive wrote:

I have no way of verifying that info, but I will take 67GR's word for it. Congratulations to Robert Turner on the promotion. Well deserved and I only hope it means he'll be on the air more often!

Congrats indeed.

On their election night coverage, Mark Towhey quipped something along the lines of "Robert's management now, so I have to be careful what I say!"  as Turner joined him in that slot. However, John Moore has pointed out previously that "Robert's actually management" and had been for years as the other board op's roll up to him so is not unfamiliar with some level of management. Assistant PD is a nice step though!