sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 31, 2022 12:36 am  #1

CHLO suffers major transmitter damage during storm

This was posted on the pictures of transmitters Facebook page

https://m.facebook.com/groups/transmittersites/permalink/5285432044851733/

May 31, 2022 5:56 pm  #2

Re: CHLO suffers major transmitter damage during storm

I would presume everything in there will need to be replaced due to water damage. They better have insurance! Interesting they have (err.. had) a fairly new NX3 transmitter. Also of note, their emergency alert receiver (in blue) is located at the transmitter and not at the studio as is often the case. A big flaw in Canada's emergency alert system is that the alerts are delivered primarily via the internet. So in this case one downed hydro/telecom pole and no alerts would've aired on this station.

The CFZM/CJBC shared facility is just down the road. I wonder if they experienced any damage too?

May 31, 2022 6:30 pm  #3

CHU got knocked off the air for a few days last week, as a result of the storm.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

May 31, 2022 6:46 pm  #4

I haven't heard of any damage to the CBC Hornby site.  The site was  built to withstand atomic warfare.
Seriously, there is a very large "hardened" Diefenbunker under the transmitter building. Not that these climate change storms were foreseen at the time.

May 31, 2022 9:06 pm  #5

turkeytop wrote:

Do you know if this was structure/equipment damage? Or was it power grid disruption?  Hydro Ottawa still has numerous customers/areas without power as a result of the storm on May 21st.

May 31, 2022 9:32 pm  #6

Glen Warren wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

Do you know if this was structure/equipment damage? Or was it power grid disruption?  Hydro Ottawa still has numerous customers/areas without power as a result of the storm on May 21st.

Don't know. They acknowledged the outage on their web site and attributed it to the storm. But they didn't explain what had happened.

It was reported on Glen Hauser's World of Radio program #2140.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.