sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 30, 2022 10:01 pm  #1

If You're A Fan Of The CBS Comedy "Ghosts," You May Want To See This

The CBS series "Ghosts" was one of the few big hits for any over-the-air network this past season. It's an American version of a British show of the same name. The U.S. program has been warmly received by critics and viewers, but I always wondered what the U.K. one looked like. 

Now, you can find out for yourself. It turns out CBC's Gem online service has all three seasons of the English comedy and they're all online for free. If you're curious to see the differences - and the similarities - between the two countries' efforts, you can find the British one here.

June 3, 2022 9:29 am  #2

Re: If You're A Fan Of The CBS Comedy "Ghosts," You May Want To See This

Thanks for the info. I have been waiting to catch the UK version after seeing a positive review. I am intrigued by the variations in success rates when the US remakes a foreign show. There were some dismal failures but also quite a few successes. The writing needs to relocate the comedy characters and situations to relatable North America situations and stereotypes. Good examples are All In the Family, Sanford and Son, Maud, and, of course, The Office. A dire failure was Coupling. As far as non-sitcoms, Canada has had reasonable success with the Great Canadian Baking Show, when I believe the US version failed to catch fire. And unfortunately the Canadian Great Talent (CGT) is a pale shadow of both the UK and US versions. Possibly due to the low budget production and pandemic restrictions at time of recording.

June 3, 2022 9:35 am  #3

Re: If You're A Fan Of The CBS Comedy "Ghosts," You May Want To See This

I agree with you - I can't wait to see the similarities and the differences between the two. I've always heard that the British version is excellent and now we'll get the chance to see for ourselves without a fee or geoblocking. 

I was frankly surprised to see it on CBC Gem, the last place I expected a non-Canadian sitcom to appear. But we live in interesting times and you just never know what's going to turn up where any more. Hope you enjoy all three seasons. I look forward to watching at least some of them soon.