sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 29, 2022 9:26 am  #1

Profile On Veteran CKWS-AM DJ Shows How Things Have Changed In Radio

I admit I've never heard of Bryan Olney, but anyone who grew up in Kingston in the 60s likely knows the name. He was the morning man - and as it turns out also the evening man(!) - at the legendary CKWS-AM in Kingston. Even if you've never heard of him, this is a great profile on a veteran radio personality, who is now 84 years old and still kicking. 

He's long since retired from the biz, but it's a great look at a nascent style of Top 40 radio long past. And while it's easy to reflect on those days with a veil of happy nostalgia, the truth is it wasn't always that easy. Check out the schedule this guy kept while he was the top AM drive guy in the city. 

"During his early years at the station — he relocated to CKWS from CKGB in Timmins in 1955 and left in 1971 — he maintained a hectic schedule that at its busiest had him hosting a 6-9 a.m. morning show, attending Queen’s University classes during the day, then pulling a 6-9 p.m. evening shift at the radio station. Five days a week … at least."

Imagine anyone being asked to work multiple shifts like that today! But there's more: he also moonlighted in a band, whom he helped get gigs with his connections, and found other ways to pick up a few bucks off the air. He even hosted a teen dance show on CKWS-TV's Channel 11 that showcased soon-to-be famous Canadian bands and singers. 

Perhaps what stands out most to me, though, is how fondly remembered this guy is by people who are now not only parents, but grandparents and even great-grandparents.

I still recall almost all the jocks that had an influence on me when I was a little kid sitting at the other end of that transistor speaker. And that was the magic of early personality radio and why I miss it so much. 

A fun piece and worth the read, even if Bryan Olney wasn't part of your broadcast day back then. 

Bryan Olney: Kingston's oldest living teenager

May 29, 2022 10:51 am  #2

Re: Profile On Veteran CKWS-AM DJ Shows How Things Have Changed In Radio

Brian Olney was my teacher at Loyalist College, Bellville, Ontario   in 1975. Great guy. I learned alot from him. I was only able to complete one semester of the two year course, but gained enough knowledge to land an operator job , which lead to on air shortly after being hired . Nice to see he is doing well still.