sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 28, 2022 1:29 am  #1

CHFI Control room Spring 71!

One of the operators at CHFI/CFTR I’ll call “J” thought it would be interesting to record the ambient sound of the control room during the morning show.  This was at the time that AM and FM both shared the CHFI call letters.  It was recorded on one of the news reporter’s reel to reel machines in the spring of 71.  I had momentary lapse trying to remember the name of the machine, then it came to me, UHER.  I goggled the name and found someone selling one on eBay.  Photo included.  Jerry Herbert was the host of the show that morning. Fun fact: Rick Moranis who was an op there at the time used Jerry’s first name, along with Todd Russell’s first name (he was swing man there at the time) for his character Jerry Todd. Major newscasts in the morning and afternoon drive shows were simulcast on both AM and FM and the rest of the day, hourly. live on AM and a sixty second version by the same newscaster was pre-recorded just before the hour for FM.  An example of the simulcast happens at the beginning of the tape.  Typically a song was back timed to end just before the top of the hour.  The AM op would monitor the FM side to make sure the announcer there had finished before taking control. After the signoff, FM would take back control to continue their independent programming.  Besides the banter between the op and jock, the sounds of cart machines being loaded, records being cued and traffic reports being arranged.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1swJFaYKY_QsP10rDiDhI5MoNAWj_SPR9/view?usp=sharing

Last edited by Citypulse News 15 (May 29, 2022 3:09 pm)

May 29, 2022 10:26 am  #2

Re: CHFI Control room Spring 71!

Wow, that's quite an unusual aircheck! Was "Crazy" Carl Ramprashad, Brady's producer, around in those days? I worked with him for a while. He was a terrific board op and producer. 

I wondered whatever became of him. I know after leaving TR, he worked for a brief time at CJCL 1430. But after that, I lost track of him. Until I came across a Linked-In profile that shows he wound up in St. Maarten for a time, as the owner and managing director of his own station, which must have been very satisfying after years of following everyone else's rules and regs. 

There's not much on his page beyond a pic of what he looks like today, but he lists himself as a "Retired Broadcasting Professional." He certainly was a pro!

Carl Ramprashad's Linked-In page