sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 26, 2022 9:17 am  #1

Indie 88.1 Plans Special HD Feed For Music Festival

The station is putting a separate signal on its HD feed highlighting the bands playing at the NXNE Music Festival that takes place in mid-June. Or you can hear it online. 

This isn't exactly my musical taste, but I do congratulate them for using their extra signal space for something other than just a rebroadcast of an AM or some other existing FM outlet.

Indie 88 Presents NXNE Radio

May 26, 2022 9:52 am  #2

Re: Indie 88.1 Plans Special HD Feed For Music Festival

RadioActive wrote:

This isn't exactly my musical taste, but I do congratulate them for using their extra signal space for something other than just a rebroadcast of an AM...

UH...What AM? & I doubt they have any desire to HD their Rock 95 since it's not Toronto. It's Barrie area.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 26, 2022 10:05 am  #3

I think you misread me. I wasn't specifically referring to Indie88. I meant most stations, which simply use their HD capacity to rebroadcast an existing AM signal in their chain on one of their subcarriers, like AM 640 on 95.3 or CFRB on what I believe is 99.9. 

It makes perfect sense to do this, I suppose, especially with all the barriers there are to hearing AM clearly in this built-up, electrically noisy city. But I think it's refreshing when a company tries something different and new on HD - like an original format you can't hear anywhere else, which is probably the only way to really attract new listeners to its capabilities. Making it profitable is another story. 

May 26, 2022 10:12 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

I think you misread me. I wasn't specifically referring to Indie88. I meant most stations, which simply use their HD capacity to rebroadcast an existing AM signal in their chain on one of their subcarriers, like AM 640 on 95.3 or CFRB on what I believe is 99.9. 

It makes perfect sense to do this, I suppose, especially with all the barriers there are to hearing AM clearly in this built-up, electrically noisy city. But I think it's refreshing when a company tries something different and new on HD - like an original format you can't hear anywhere else, which is probably the only way to really attract new listeners to its capabilities. Making it profitable is another story. 

Great, but my point is, due to not owning an AM station, there's more room to experiment.
I'm pretty sure if they did own an AM they'd also have it up and running on the HD...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 26, 2022 10:16 am  #5

I would be surprised if they didn't do that. But I'll be curious if we ever find out how many ears this unique format on their subcarrier attracts.

If I recall, Indie88 has been very good about experimenting with something different on its HD signals. Other stations in the market not so much. I wish they would all give it a consistent try and see if any of them find an audience.