sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 6, 2016 8:51 pm  #1

Bell Media Experiments With HD Radio In B.C. Is T.O. Next?

Bell Media announced on Monday that it's piggybacking Vancouver's TSN 1040 and TSN 1410 audio onto the signal of one of its FM outlets, CHQM. I know this isn't local, but you have to wonder with Bell holding so many properties in Southern Ontario if this is a sign of what's coming here in the near future. I could easily see CFRB or TSN 1050 (or both) being broadcast on subcarriers of Virgin or CHUM-FM.

Corus currently puts Toronto's AM640 through the signal of CING at 95.3, although that station is actually licenced to Burlington.  

Of course, this still leads to the ultimate question: are there enough HD radios in cars or homes in this area to actually make this matter at all?

Bell Media Radio Delivers HD Radio for the First Time with Vancouver’s 103.5 QM/FM and TSN 1040/1410

Last edited by RadioActive (June 6, 2016 10:59 pm)

June 7, 2016 7:41 am  #2

Re: Bell Media Experiments With HD Radio In B.C. Is T.O. Next?

A techie can confirm, but in Toronto, the challenge is the CN Tower.   The antenna required to do HD off the CN Tower and the installation would not only be really expensive BUT also required some serious coordination amongst many broadcasters,    Not impossible, just slow.

June 7, 2016 8:50 am  #3

I listen to the radio a lot but most of it is streaming now.  The only time I use a radio is in the car or listening to the Blue Jays at home (because the games themselves are not streamed).  

Seems to me the demand for HD radio would be minimal.  

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

June 7, 2016 9:15 am  #4

And then there's another question: as long as HD Radio remains merely a rebroadcaster of an existing service, would a wide number of consumers actually fork over the money to either convert or buy the new equipment?

Maybe if they offered a separate format (like resurrecting oldies on a subcarrier of CHUM-FM or all jazz, ancient C&W - you pick the idea) it would be more of an incentive. But I doubt stations would spend the money even for an automated outlet and the CRTC might have something to say about it, too. Plus all those options can be streamed over your phone if you want it. 

Would I spend money to hear TSN 1050 in better quality? No way. I don't even listen to it now. Enhanced sound wouldn't make much difference if the interest isn't there to begin with.  

June 7, 2016 11:48 am  #5

It is understood that to do HD from CN Tower - it would take a complete antenna replacement - something that is logistically very difficult (if not almost impossible) due to the radome construction.   NOT CHEAP.  Most broadcasters today who are on the CN Tower would probably not spend that kind of money - if they didn't have to - shareholder rate of returns etc you know.  Not that there's anything wrong with maximizing profits.

On FCP where Rogers has an FM, and CBC has FM (99.1) -and Fiitzroy Gordon and MZ Media transmit - along with CIRV-FM, it's logistically complicated only by virtue of (already) high RF levels at rooftop and Safety Code 6 issues with the federal gov't.   The additional RF power for HD implementation is a possible impediment.  Aside from those 2 sites, there is Proud FM which broadcasts from the Sheraton Centre rooftop - can't think of anyone else who is no co-sited at FCP or CN Tower in downtown....

June 7, 2016 1:42 pm  #6

Thankfully there's Wave FM on HD radio...it's a start! 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.