sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 19, 2022 8:19 pm  #1

This Movie About Casablanca Records Has Been 30 Yrs. In The Making

I'm not crazy about the disco era, but a new movie called "Spinning Gold" - tracing the origins of the legendary Neil Bogart and Casablanca Records - may just be interesting enough for me to ignore my hatred of that era. It's got an all-star cast, re-creates many of the songs, and is actually directed by Bogart's own son.

The story of how this all came to be looks fascinating, although I'm not entirely sure exactly when or where this is being released. But it took more than three decades to bring it to the big screen and it's populated with endless bigger-than-life characters - most of whom were and are real. 

The other odd thing is that Bogart the younger decided to redo all the famous hits instead of using the original artists. And to do that, he had to get permissions from those still alive to make sure they were OK with the casting. 

"Every single artist I reached out to — Gene Simmons, Paul Stanley, Peter Criss, Ace Frehley, Donna [Summer’s] husband Bruce Sudano, George Clinton himself — has been so supportive of the movie. In fact, the people who play P Funk are the actual children and grandchildren of the original Funkadelics. You reach out to these folks for publishing for sure, but I made no promises to tell the story in a specific way. Ultimately, I do think every one of them is going to be thrilled."

And check out this for a soundtrack:

“Last Dance” – Donna Summer
“Love To Love Ya Baby” – Donna Summer
“Bad Girls” – Donna Summer
“Dim All The Lights” – Donna Summer
“It’s Your Thing” – The Isley Brothers
“Oh Happy Day” – Edwin Hawkins’ Singers
“Midnight Train To Georgia” – Gladys Knight
“Give Up The Funk” – Parliament
“Mothership Connection” – Parliament
“Ooh Child” – The Five Stairsteps
“One Toke Over The Line” – Brewer & Shipley
“Ain’t No Sunshine” – Bill Withers
“Lean On Me” – Bill Withers
“Who Is He” – Bill Withers
“Rock N Roll All Nite” – Kiss
“Shout It Out Loud” – Kiss
“Beth” – Kiss
“Yummy, Yummy, Yummy” – Ohio Players
“Wooly Bully” – Sam The Sham & The Pharoahs
“YMCA” – The Village People

Not quite sure how "Wooly Bully" got on there, but that's a pretty impressive list. What will be even more interesting to see is, if this movie is a hit, will these old songs redone by contemporary artists end up back on the radio as new chart entrants? It so, it could be the first time both AC and oldies stations might be playing the same records. 

The Long Road to ‘Spinning Gold’: Why It Took Three Decades to Bring the Story of Six Decadent Disco Years to the Screen

May 20, 2022 12:00 am  #2

Re: This Movie About Casablanca Records Has Been 30 Yrs. In The Making

I realize that you've just copied the list of songs from the article here, but Yummy Yummy Yummy was done by the Ohio Express, not the Ohio Players. Bit of a difference there. 

May 20, 2022 12:17 am  #3

You are correct - I did copy and paste that from the article and didn't spot it. But can you imagine for a moment if the Ohio Players DID do a version of the ultimate bubblegum song? Now that I might pay to hear!

May 20, 2022 7:52 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

You are correct - I did copy and paste that from the article and didn't spot it. But can you imagine for a moment if the Ohio Players DID do a version of the ultimate bubblegum song? Now that I might pay to hear!

I was thinking that this would be hard to imagine ... until I remembered this.