sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 5, 2016 4:48 pm  #1

CanCon Mainstay Gone At 73

The deadly year for music and artists continues, with the loss of "Fortune Teller" and CanCon stalwart Bobby Curtola. 

Singer Bobby Curtola dies at age 73

Curtola is one of those rare Canadian artists who actually got played on the radio before stations were forced to air national artists. He never had a huge number of hits, but he toured endlessly based on those classics that made it into the Top 40.

Last edited by RadioActive (June 5, 2016 4:54 pm)

June 5, 2016 4:55 pm  #2

Re: CanCon Mainstay Gone At 73

i sang with bobby as he was a guest on my talk 640 show (i was filling in for dan gallagher, back in the day)... so much for the ratings.

Last edited by the original hank (June 5, 2016 4:55 pm)

June 5, 2016 5:13 pm  #3

Some interesting things about Curtola I never knew, courtesy of the bio on his website:

->Legendary Vancouver DJ Red Robinson was responsible for sending the Canadian single of "Fortune Teller" to KJR Seattle and KPOI in Honolulu, of all places, which is how it became a minor hit in the U.S., reaching number 41 on Billboard. 

->Curtola is said to be the first rock star to turn a commercial jingle into a hit, after becoming the voice behind the famous "Things Go Better With Coke" campaign. He also co-wrote "It's The Real Thing," which became another legendary tune for the soft drink. 

->He met the Beatles while in Britain to appear on the TV show "Thank Your Lucky Stars."

->Fortune Teller is his biggest hit, but there were others:

Hand In Hand With You, Hitchhiker,  Johnny Take Your Time, Three Rows Over, Aladdin, Forget Her and Indian Giver. Don't know how politically correct that last one would be in this day and age. (Interestingly, Indian Giver was also the title of a completely separate bubble gum song for the studio group 1910 Fruitgum Company in 1969.)

I think this sad passing just might send AM740 into emergency crisis mode!

Last edited by RadioActive (June 5, 2016 5:44 pm)

June 5, 2016 6:06 pm  #4

And his wife was killed in a car crash just 6 months ago...

Talk about getting the shitty end of the stick...

June 5, 2016 6:17 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

Classy.

June 5, 2016 6:49 pm  #6

I saw him in concert in Peterborough a few days after his long-time partner died in a car crash. Never saw a more emotional concert. R.I.P. Bobby Curtola, a great Canadian and a great musician.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

June 5, 2016 9:43 pm  #7

Neil Hedley wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Classy.

You're right. On second read, it was over the top. Mea culpa and RIP to Mr. Curtola. 

June 5, 2016 10:56 pm  #8

Sorry to hear the news.  I used to buy Bobby's 45s on the Tartan label.  He used to give of his time willingly for many a telethon which I participated in back in the day.  Seemed like a truly nice fella. 

Man!!!  He had some hits.  3 Rows Over, Indian Giver, Move Over, You're Not a Goody Goody, Little Girl Blue.  I think Come Home Little Girl was the last one I bought.  One of the many 'Bobbys' in the early 60s and he was every bit as good as the rest of them.  Didn't need no 'regs' to make THAT happen.

[thank gawd the British invasion came along though]