sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 5, 2022 9:08 am  #1

Robert Turner Shows Again How Valuable He Is To RB's Morning Show

With apologies to John Moore, I once again find myself having to praise the sometimes-unappreciated talents of the great Robert Turner, who pops up occasionally on CFRB's morning show, at the same time as he's behind the board in the control room.

On Thursday, he proved his worth again in a remarkable segment that took two Toronto city councillors down a peg and made me laugh out loud at the same time. Shelley Carroll and Michael Thompson were both on the early Roundtable, when the subject was broached about whether the Prime Minister swore in the House of Commons. 

Each one took turns expressing virtual signaling positions about how bad it was for kids to hear the P.M. saying such things, if in fact he did, and how worried they were that children would emulate this behaviour. As they prattled on trying to show how virtuous they are, Turner stopped them dead in their tracks. 

"Yeah, I come home all the time and see my kids reading Hansard," he noted dryly, as the two elected politicos retreated into dead silence. Anyone who can make Shelley Carroll shut up is a hero in my book! 

I just wish he interjected on the show more often. His contributions are almost always hilarious and I love his ability to constantly cut through the B.S. and pop the balloon of way too many inflated egos. 

The guy is the highlight of the show, in my humble opinion, and I wish we could hear even more of him.

May 5, 2022 9:57 am  #2

Re: Robert Turner Shows Again How Valuable He Is To RB's Morning Show

RadioActive wrote:

Anyone who can make Shelley Carroll shut up is a hero in my book! 

The last person on Newstalk 1010 who told Shelly Carroll to shut up was deservedly expelled to Robidas Island for a a few months.

That said, Robert Turner is a gem .. an absolute hoot .. do NOT break up the Moore/Turner combo.

May 5, 2022 9:58 am  #3

I admit that is a good one, but I'm betting only 1% of the audience got it?

May 5, 2022 10:40 am  #4

Johnny B wrote:

I admit that is a good one, but I'm betting only 1% of the audience got it?

I thought of that, too, but it just made the comment all the more hilarious to me. 

May 5, 2022 9:11 pm  #5

Robert Turner is the essence of that station.  They would be fucked without him.

May 5, 2022 9:26 pm  #6

Perhaps Robidas Island is where they sent Jim Richards... and a while back where Ryan Doyle landed for a couple of months.

I agree, Robert Turner is a true gem.

Even if he has questionable taste in preferring Star Wars to Star Trek. 🖖😁

Last edited by betaylored (May 5, 2022 9:31 pm)

May 6, 2022 2:18 am  #7

What makes Robert such an asset to the station is that "he understands how radio works" in the truest sense.  As a "tech producer" he gets the technical side, how all the parts work, the importance of sound, drops and timing.
He's also a smart guy who has been around very smart people his entire career, heard interviews, been part of breaking news, great debates, and has put in the 10,000 hours as they say.  I I believe him to also be very passionate about what he does.

He's the last of a dying breed.   Worth every penny.

These are all the qualities that should keep him employed for years to come and make him truly respected and appreciated by his employer.

Unfortunately he works for Bell... who have zero appreciation for any of the previous points.

... but we love him... so he has that going for him.

May 6, 2022 9:21 am  #8

He got in another hilarious zinger on Friday that had me laughing out loud. John Moore, a sometime actor, mentioned he was going to the trouble of learning video editing so he could put together a reel of his film appearances. 

Turner's response? "That's a lot of work for 75 seconds of footage."

Brilliant. 

May 6, 2022 5:54 pm  #9

Love listening to Robert Turner!

May 8, 2022 7:27 pm  #10

I used to love Turner's solo half hour prior to Moore before they changed the schedule. He's great!

May 8, 2022 8:26 pm  #11

I've thought of that, too, but you know what? I think he's one of those personalities that's better playing off someone than working on his own. At the very least, he'd need a co-host to bounce off of, so we don't lose that ability to deflate a pumped-up ego-filled balloon. 

But it would be interesting to hear him do the morning show if Moore is over off on vacation, just to see how he does. 

May 8, 2022 8:31 pm  #12

RadioActive wrote:

But it would be interesting to hear him do the morning show if Moore is over off on vacation, just to see how he does. 

I recall he's done this a time or two for Moore (but for only a single one or two days at most in a given week before the scheduling with an alternate fill-in host took it over - for many years Dave Trafford). He did pretty well and was self-deprecating ("I promise we'll get through this together" to the listener), etc.