sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 2, 2022 11:21 am  #1

CFRA celebrating 75th anniversary with special programming

May 2, 2022 11:56 am  #2

Re: CFRA celebrating 75th anniversary with special programming

Thanks for posting this. I wonder if they will make reference to their Top 40 days. That's how I remember CFRA.

May 2, 2022 12:07 pm  #3

First radio station I ever knew to be a radio station. Will be listening for sure.

May 2, 2022 4:22 pm  #4

Another big 100 celebration is being undertaken by WBAP, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Texas, the 50K station you used to be able to get here before CHAM took over the 820 frequency. They turned 100 on May 2nd and unlike CKOC, are marking the moment on air. 

WBAP Dallas Celebrates 100 Years Of Serving The DFW Community.

"WBAP signed on for the first time ...on Tuesday, May 2nd, 1922, operating at 10 Watts of Power. 

Within the first six months, WBAP established itself as a service to the community, becoming the first station to air livestock market reports and weekly church services. 

As the station continued to evolve, WBAP would become the first to broadcast a rodeo, air remote broadcasts, and send a war correspondent to Europe in the early days of World War II."

May 2, 2022 5:42 pm  #5

CFBO? That's out in Moncton. Someone did a typo. It should read CFGO:

"1999"CHUM limited announced it purchased Rawlco's Ottawa stations – CFBO and CJMJ-FM" (Majic 100).

https://www.iheartradio.ca/580-cfra/cfra-75th-anniversary/home

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 2, 2022 8:58 pm  #6

That was a good feature that CTV Ottawa did with Bill Carroll to promote the special programming tomorrow on CFRA.  It is nice that they still use the call letters and the station isn't Newstalk or iHeart whatever.  I remember CFRA as a top 40 station and it was pretty good.  Also liked CFGO in Ottawa, they were  a good tight top 40 station with some decent talent.  I will certainly tune in tomorrow.  

May 2, 2022 9:05 pm  #7

You can see that video here. 

May 3, 2022 12:15 am  #8

It turns out there are two legendary stations celebrating a century this year. In fact, both reached 100 years of age in April - KHJ and KFI Los Angeles. But as the linked article notes, there wasn't a word about the anniversary on either station. 

I can understand why KHJ wouldn't pay any attention - it's now an all religious Catholic radio format. But what a history it has and someone should make note of it. KFI is a big deal talk station (the one Bill Carroll moved to L.A. to work for) and they should be ashamed for neglecting their own storied history. 

By the way, the article also notes a second milestone of sorts. It was April 27, 1965, some 57 years ago, when 93/KHJ unveiled its now legendary "Boss Jock" format. That was definitely one of the greatest moments in Top 40 radio history and apparently, no one even noticed. 

100 years of LA radio for these two stations, but who’s celebrating?