sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 1, 2022 2:20 pm  #1

Whatever Happened To Jim Richards?

It was in the first week of April that Jim Richards last hosted The Rush on NT1010. Since then, nothing. David Cooper continues to front the all-night show on Bell stations across the country, and there's been no sign of "The Richmond Hill Richards" since. 

Did they give him a month off after parachuting him into - and then out of - the afternoon slot following Ryan Doyle's sudden departure? And just as importantly, is he coming back to the overnight slot? So far, the website still calls it "The Showgram with David Cooper."

I've never been a big fan, but it would be a shame if he were to lose two gigs in the space of the same year. 

May 1, 2022 5:23 pm  #2

Re: Whatever Happened To Jim Richards?

Gone and forgotten

May 1, 2022 5:43 pm  #3

Charlie wrote:

Unfortunately, so far the 'New Rush' isn't much of an improvement.  Time will tell.

Reshmi Nair was a good fit on CBC News Network, but cuts got her. Her talent is wasted on The New Rush.

May 2, 2022 12:57 am  #4

'Reshmi Nair was a good fit on CBC News Network, but cuts got her'.

CBC did not drop her. CTV recruited her - with a nice multi year offer I'm sure - to work on Quibi streaming service.  When that platform failed Bell Media needed to find something for her to do. It has been some cp24 hosting and fill-in duty on Newstalk1010 that I've seen.

May 2, 2022 7:42 am  #5

I did listen to Jim Richards a couple of years ago but he changed and I really didn't like the show.  However, he has been with the station for 20 years and for him to be gone/let go and no mention of it is very low on Bell's part.  They certainly don't treat their employees with any respect.  Wherever Jim has gone and whatever he is doing, I wish him luck!

May 2, 2022 8:10 am  #6

Just to be fair to Bell Media (yes, call Ripley - I'm being fair to Bell Media!) there's no evidence either way that Jim Richards has been let go. I was just wondering what happened to him. I always figured they gave him some time to get used to being back on overnights, which is a hard life adjustment, especially as you get older.

But I certainly would have thought that a month later, if he was going to resurface, he would have by now. 

On the other hand, there's nothing on his Twitter feed about his status, which is often not a good sign. 

As for Bell letting someone go after 20 years, it's a cutthroat business and you can be the darling of the place one day and simply out the next with not so much as a thank you. Ask Ryan Doyle.