sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 28, 2022 7:13 pm  #1

Numeris Called - But What Did They Want?

I was out earlier in the day, but noticed on my call display when I got back that Numeris had called while I was gone. Is there a major rating period coming up in the near future? 

I've done their diaries before, although I maintain there's a serious flaw in the system that makes it almost impossible to fill them out - I'm an inveterate dial switcher, so having to enter just one station per quarter hour interval makes for a very inaccurate survey in my mind. The last time it happened, I phoned them to ask about it and they said, "just write down the one you listened to longest." 

How is that an accurate rating if I give 5 minutes to station A, 5 to station B and another 5 to station C in that 15 minute time period? It drives me crazy and while I'm aware most people don't listen to their radio this way, it makes me openly doubt the numbers when they eventually come out. A PPM would be better, but I listen a lot through headphones while out walking the dog, so that wouldn't work, either. 

It matters because a lot of livelihoods are possibly riding on getting the collective numbers right. 

Has anyone else here been contacted in the past few days? If so, what did they want?

April 28, 2022 7:21 pm  #2

Re: Numeris Called - But What Did They Want?

It's always ratings. They recruit people into the panels continously.

If you're filling out a diary in a PPM market, your listening habits aren't used by stations or advertisers.

Last edited by RadioAaron (April 28, 2022 7:23 pm)

April 28, 2022 7:26 pm  #3

Then why bother?

April 28, 2022 7:34 pm  #4

I believe Numeris uses the diary info in PPM markets as a comparison/calibration tool. What does get used by advertisers and stations are the questions about your lifestyle and spending habits. Those create listener profiles.

Also, whether PPM or diary, if you're over 64 years old, none of it is looked at by anyone except CBC.

April 28, 2022 8:34 pm  #5

Which I never watch! Not even for a quarter hour!