sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 26, 2022 7:37 pm  #1

The Phrases In Radio Spots I Would Gladly See Gone

I'm not sure why, but there are the occasional idioms that pop up in TV and radio spots that set my teeth on edge - and I already have a problem with bruxism! 

I've always despised the term "just two more sleeps until..." which seems to crop up constantly in the days before Christmas or a big playoff game. ("Just two more sleeps until Santa is here!") It's trite, cliche, lazy writing and for some reason, really bugs me. If it's 48 hours until something happens, just say that.  

But now there's a new one that's started to insert itself sneakily in a number of commercials and promos. I'm talking about "all the feels," which I assume means you'll experience every emotion when you see or hear whatever is being promoted. I've heard it on the Ontario Lottery spots and CTV uses it endlessly advertising "This Is Us." 

Whenever I hear this useless phrase, it gives me "all the feels" of wanting to turn the station. I suspect there's just one more sleep until I hear it again. 

April 26, 2022 8:10 pm  #2

Re: The Phrases In Radio Spots I Would Gladly See Gone

Kids these days refer to records as 'vinyls'. And love paying brutal mall-shaming markups for the bulk and inconvenience.

Jesus weeps once again.

April 26, 2022 8:26 pm  #3

Another that irks me is weather reports in winter that refer to snow as "the white stuff."

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

April 26, 2022 8:29 pm  #4

turkeytop wrote:

Another that irks me is weather reports in winter that refer to snow as "the white stuff."

Yep, that one irritates me, too. If luck holds, it should be months before we hear that again. Although with this wretched spring that never seems to have actually sprung, it could be back tomorrow!

April 27, 2022 1:51 am  #5

Will someone please ban "Rain failed to dampen the enthusiasm at ..."

April 27, 2022 8:44 am  #6

How about, when a confluence of unfortunate circumstances results in an adverse outcome and they always label it as "A perfect storm."?

Last edited by turkeytop (April 27, 2022 8:45 am)

April 27, 2022 9:48 am  #7

Not used in a spot, but the 680 News use of the word "overnight" really irks me.  "Snow is expected in the overnight" or "the Dundas ramp will be closed for the overnight".  Who speaks like that? Why not just say  "snow is expected overnight" or "the Dundas ramp will be closed overnight".  This seems to be consistent among their staff, not just one person.  There are many more 680 News phrases that bug me such as "gold is $1900 the ounce" instead of "an ounce" but I'll stop now.

April 27, 2022 10:08 am  #8

It's April, but that doesn't change a current TV ad from saying "Just because it's getting cold outside doesn't mean you have to catch one.  Are we going to see this same ad right through the summer too? 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 27, 2022 10:12 am  #9

mjf wrote:

Not used in a spot, but the 680 News  "gold is $1900 the ounce" instead of "an ounce".

Amen!