sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 26, 2022 6:51 pm  #1

AM/FM Streaming Growing New Study Shows

I'm not quite sure I understand why the article below seems to express surprise that AM/FM radio streaming is growing. I would have thought that was obvious. 

"...it would surprise many to learn that AM/FM radio streaming audiences have also experienced significant growth over the last several years,” [said Suzanne Grimes, president of Westwood One and executive vice president of marketing for Cumulus Media.] “AM/FM radio streaming now has the scale and quality marketers require. With audiences larger than Pandora and Spotify, AM/FM radio streaming listeners are upscale, employed and in-market for major purchases.”  

None of this comes as a "surprise" to me, only that it seems to have come as one to them. 

Encouraging News for AM/FM Streaming

April 26, 2022 6:55 pm  #2

Re: AM/FM Streaming Growing New Study Shows

I could see how it would be a surprise to many. AM/FM is often viewed as something that one only uses when streaming isn't an option or is otherwise inconvenient. Once you've opened a streaming device, AM/FM stations melt into equal access with unlimited other options.

April 26, 2022 7:06 pm  #3

True, but when you consider the possible interference from electrical equipment (EMF), steel walls in apartment buildings that cut or block signal strength, superior sound, etc. if you want to listen to something hassle free, taking it off the web seems like a no-brainer to me. Smart speakers make it even easier. 

If they didn't think it would work so well, why go to all the hassle and expense of setting it up in the first place? Plus there are a few who will listen to their hometown favourite when they're away from their city. (Someone called into one of the Toronto AM talkers Tuesday listening from Hungary.)

If you stream it, they will come. 

April 26, 2022 7:11 pm  #4

All my radio listening at home is done via mytuner. 

April 27, 2022 12:34 am  #5

Internet radio streaming certainly has come a long way since the early '00s when, if you wanted to listen to a station online, you had to listen to it on a big clunky desktop PC, most likely with crappy little speakers, and you were probably on dial-up too, as high-speed internet was still a luxury for many of us. Which meant your stream was constantly buffering and cutting out. That was probably one of the reasons that 1050chum.com (the internet station that debuted in May 2001 when the terrestrial version became The Team 1050) never took off.

Fast forward 20 years, internet radio has become a lot more ubiquitous. Internet radio stations are not just available on your desktop or laptop PC, but basically on just about every type of device that connects to the internet: smart phones, smart TVs and tablets, just to name a few. Also, unlimited internet plans are more the norm, allowing people to stream to their heart's content.

Where this puts traditional AM/FM stations at an advantage is that listeners can now tune into them when they're out of terrestrial signal range, or in an area where the signal is poor. 

Where this potentially puts traditional AM/FM stations at a disadvantage is that now they're in a pool (or more like an ocean) of thousands upon thousands of other stations around the world, many of which are internet-only stations that are run by individuals for the fun of it, as opposed to profit, allowing them greater creativity in terms of content. 

Much like traditional broadcast TV has had to rethink their model over the past few years with the growing popularity of streaming services, traditional radio may very well have to do the same thing. How well will a terrestrial station with a 300-song playlist compete online with an internet-only station that boasts a 3000+ song playlist?

Stay tuned...

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

April 27, 2022 2:11 am  #6

It's a surprise because young people don't think of radio as a main option for music.  Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube are where most people under 30 get their music.  New music is usually discovered on TikTok, not radio.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (April 27, 2022 2:12 am)