sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 26, 2022 9:17 am  #1

The Poppy Family's Susan Jacks Dies At 73

I have been trying to nail this down for the past 12 hours, but it's been tough - there are few sources that back it. But now a statement from ex-husband Terry Jacks on his Facebook page appears to confirm the sad news that Susan Jacks, the main singer for Canada's Poppy Family and a successful solo artist in her own rite, has passed away. 

Indications are it was from complications of kidney disease. 

I'm amazed how little coverage this is getting, because the group had a ton of big hits, including "Which Way You Going Billy?," "That's Where I Went Wrong" and solo efforts like "Anna Marie." She had a great voice but had long since retired from the music biz to pursue other interests. 

She was 73.

Susan Jacks of The Poppy Family Dies

April 26, 2022 9:53 am  #2

Re: The Poppy Family's Susan Jacks Dies At 73

Sad news, Susan had a beautiful voice.  Here is a compilation of her singles from 1969 and onward, with the Poppy Family and as a solo artist. Her biggest hit with the Poppy Family was the originally titled Which Way You Goin' Buddy, later changed to Billy, after her brother.  This song went on to sell 4 million copies and reached #2 on Billboard, also a top ten hit in Canada and the UK.  Many of these songs you will recognize and some not.  Courtesy of ExplorHits...https://www.yout-ube.com/watch?v=n-l3V_4IMAE

April 26, 2022 2:25 pm  #3

Many years ago I connected with Susan on Facebook ... I think I may have seen that one or more of my connections from the oldiesmusic.com board (the predecessor of the one I now administer) were friends with her, and so I sent her a friend request. Not only did she accept it, but when I messaged her she responded and we exchanged a few more messages after that. I could see that she really appreciated her fans, and was a very kind, thoughtful person in general.
Earlier this morning I started seeing people posting condolences on her FB page, but then a neighbour called to ask me for some assistance and I was also wanting to see a proper obituary for her before posting anything on the oldies board. Like you, RA, I've been surprised that there hasn't been more coverage of this yet, including nothing on the CBC or CTV news sites last I checked. I would think that there will be soon enough, but I've seen before that it can take a while for obits to be published for significant artists from many years ago who aren't really in the public eye any more ... although given that Susan had still been maintaining an active presence on FB, I would have thought things would be a bit different in her case. She will certainly be very much missed.

April 26, 2022 4:47 pm  #4

Lorne wrote:

Many years ago I connected with Susan on Facebook ... I think I may have seen that one or more of my connections from the oldiesmusic.com board (the predecessor of the one I now administer) were friends with her, and so I sent her a friend request. Not only did she accept it, but when I messaged her she responded and we exchanged a few more messages after that. I could see that she really appreciated her fans, and was a very kind, thoughtful person in general.
Earlier this morning I started seeing people posting condolences on her FB page, but then a neighbour called to ask me for some assistance and I was also wanting to see a proper obituary for her before posting anything on the oldies board. Like you, RA, I've been surprised that there hasn't been more coverage of this yet, including nothing on the CBC or CTV news sites last I checked. I would think that there will be soon enough, but I've seen before that it can take a while for obits to be published for significant artists from many years ago who aren't really in the public eye any more ... although given that Susan had still been maintaining an active presence on FB, I would have thought things would be a bit different in her case. She will certainly be very much missed.

I did a Google and several other search engine queries for this on Monday. Nothing came up. That's why I sat on it for almost a full day before posting this - I did not want to declare anyone deceased until there was some more evidence. 

There are still very few obits or articles on this online more than 24 hours later. I find that incredible, especially on Canadian news sites. She was a major figure in CanCon pop music in her day and the songs still get played. I find it amazing it's gone this long without more notice. 

April 26, 2022 5:39 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

I find it amazing it's gone this long without more notice. 

Getting notice on YouTube: 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 26, 2022 5:43 pm  #6

That's fine, but where's the official obit from the Toronto Star? The Canadian Press? Even FYIMusicNews.ca?

Seems like they're all asleep at the switch on this one. 

April 26, 2022 6:11 pm  #7

Susan Jacks moved to Nashville in 1983 but had since moved back to BC.  She was awaiting a kidney for a second transplant. 

Jerry Doucette's recent passing had lots of press and he didn't have the same success of Susan Jacks here or internationally.  Jerry was still living in BC and was performing until fairly recently.  Because of poor health Jacks hadn't performed anywhere for many years. It is odd what information is out there doesn't have much detail. 

When Lucille Starr passed away a few years back I was surprised at the lack of news coverage.  She died in Las Vegas where she had lived for decades but it took over a day before anything was covered at all here.

Sadly what little entertainment programming we have in English Canada is not very well versed in the history of early Canadian pop music, other than the obvious.  It will be interesting if her passing is mentioned tonight on CTV or CBC national news. 

CP does have a story on her death now with more detail.  She had moved back to BC a few years back and was awaiting a kidney for a second kidney transplant...https://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/bc-news/singer-songwriter-remembered-as-selfless-dies-at-age-73-in-bc-hospital-5303166  

Last edited by paterson1 (April 26, 2022 6:27 pm)

April 26, 2022 6:32 pm  #8

Susan had said in the past on Facebook that she'd returned to Vancouver many years ago, and it was basically due to her kidney issues since at that point Obamacare hadn't been brought in. But I just did another search and both CTV and the Globe (among others) now have obituaries on their sites, and no doubt many more will now follow. 

April 26, 2022 6:46 pm  #9

And because of my interest in oldies artists, I can tell you that the delay in seeing news sites report her passing is something I've often seen in the US with American artists as well. There's an oldies board based in New York where I have often seen complaints (particularly from the admin) about the New York Times, among others, not reporting on significant passings until well after the fact. As someone who used to work in market research, I can't help but wonder if it's a bit like what has often been mentioned here about radio stations not generally being interested in targeting people who are 55+ ... I feel like a lot of oldies artists often aren't of much significance to younger people (with the occasional exception of someone like a Tony Bennett), and so that may sometimes explain why it takes a while for passings to be reported. It happens so much that I just take it in stride now, and keep watching for the obits that will eventually come.

April 26, 2022 6:46 pm  #10

Lorne wrote:

Susan had said in the past on Facebook that she'd returned to Vancouver many years ago, and it was basically due to her kidney issues since at that point Obamacare hadn't been brought in. But I just did another search and both CTV and the Globe (among others) now have obituaries on their sites, and no doubt many more will now follow. 

The Canadian Press version is now online.

April 26, 2022 8:36 pm  #11

CBC Vancouver paid tribute to her on their afternoon drive show.

April 27, 2022 12:22 am  #12

The Toronto Star has finally published the CP version of the story, but their headline is completely baffling. 

"Singer-songwriter remembered as selfless, dies at age 73 in B.C. hospital"

No name or other I.D.? What a strange way to promote a story about a famous singer passing away. 

April 27, 2022 7:13 am  #13

Various other news sites have also used that headline for this story, so I guess it came from CP. And I think it goes with what I said before about oldies artists who are well-known to people like us but not to many younger people ... it seems that the writer felt that her name wouldn't be that recognizable to many people now, especially with her biggest hits having come as a member of the Poppy Family. 

April 27, 2022 7:49 am  #14

Lorne wrote:

Various other news sites have also used that headline for this story, so I guess it came from CP. And I think it goes with what I said before about oldies artists who are well-known to people like us but not to many younger people ... it seems that the writer felt that her name wouldn't be that recognizable to many people now, especially with her biggest hits having come as a member of the Poppy Family. 

I might agree with you if she'd been a relative unknown. But she did achieve a significant amount of fame in her day, although you're right that she's not as well known today. That being said, the name is almost always in an obit headline to tell you who died. Maybe it was clickbait because other papers that used the same story did have her name front and centre. 

By the way, I had to laugh when NT1010's John Moore paid tribute to Susan Jacks on Wednesday morning, reminding listeners of her big hit, "Where You Going Billy?"

Needless to say, listeners quickly corrected him by text. 

April 27, 2022 8:09 am  #15

Here's a link that shows how many other news sites used that headline, including the Globe and Mail and CityNews.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=%22Singer-songwriter+remembered+as+selfless%2C+dies+at+age+73+in+B.C.+hospital%22
I definitely think that her name should have been in the headline, but I have at least occasionally seen the same approach used for other musicians as well -- and I think it's more likely to happen when their most significant fame came as a member of a group. Not trying to defend this being done here, just giving some reasons on why I think that it probably happened. And here's another example, this time from a news site in BC where she'd have been best-known.
https://www.coastreporter.net/bc-news/bc-music-hall-of-fame-inductee-passes-after-battle-with-kidney-disease-5303083

Last edited by Lorne (April 27, 2022 8:21 am)

April 28, 2022 8:06 am  #16

Here's a good article from a few days ago on CBC.ca.  Some vintage photos and memories of Susan from one of her brothers. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/susan-jacks-obit-1.6431954  

May 2, 2022 9:20 am  #17

Roger Ashby did a nice comment and break on Susan Jack's passing this past weekend.  And as typical of his program, he played one of her lesser hits, but one everyone will recognize right away.  The Youtube clip below has a lot of good shots of Susan and the Poppy Family.  This song only peaked at #84 on Billboard December 1971 but was a more substantial hit in Canada.  A great song that you rarely hear on the radio.https://www.yout-ube.com/watch?v=OkORnFM9PCo

Last edited by paterson1 (May 2, 2022 9:22 am)