sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 26, 2016 5:47 pm  #1

Two New Studies Urge Canning Can Con & Foreign Ownership Rules For TV

Interesting article in the Star about two new think tank studies that are a breath of fresh air. They suggest that instead of the CRTC forcing Canadian content regulations onto online services the answer is to free up traditional broadcasters from the regs, so they can compete on a level playing field. 

They also suggest removing foreign ownership restrictions, and letting competition be the arbiter of who wins and who loses in the marketplace. 

Neither of these things will ever happen, of course, since there are too many in the industry that rely on the forced rules to keep them in business. But I have a feeling the Internet will eventually make dinosaurs of the commission's rules and we'll get there by default.

Level broadcast playing field, Ottawa urged 

May 26, 2016 9:36 pm  #2

Re: Two New Studies Urge Canning Can Con & Foreign Ownership Rules For TV

I agree.  Mass bankruptcies and a lack of new fools to take over will spell the end of a LOT of outrageously stupid ideas and concepts which exist only because "we've always done it that way.". [or at least since what was it?  1971?]

I have 2 major arguments AGAINST foreign ownership though.

1.  FOX News
2.  CNN

We need absolutely NONE of THAT.

May 27, 2016 12:10 pm  #3

Old Codger wrote:

I agree.  Mass bankruptcies and a lack of new fools to take over will spell the end of a LOT of outrageously stupid ideas and concepts which exist only because "we've always done it that way.". [or at least since what was it?  1971?]

I have 2 major arguments AGAINST foreign ownership though.

1.  FOX News
2.  CNN

We need absolutely NONE of THAT.

As both of those networks are available in Canada on 98% of cable/sat systems, I really don't see your point.

YOU have the right not to watch, read, listen to anything you don't want to, but to be honest, I really don't like the idea in 2016 that MOTHER KNOWS BEST type laws exist, that restrict people from watching or listening to what they want, when they want in a country that calls themselves "A FREE SOCIETY"    I think the market and individuals can decide on their own what they want to watch/listen/read and don't.   By having these ridiculous OWNERSHIP rules, and content rules, only stop the freedom people say they value in Canada.  It also allows lack of effort by content providers (music/news etc) because there is no reason to compete and try to do better.

If Canadian content is soo good, then it will be demanded by the public, but not given a free ride because broadcasters are forced to play/run it. 

In 2016, my hope is we do what New Zealand did get rid of all content rules and allow the market to decide.   Use the CBC as the source of ALL CANADIAN..   It's time to grow up and stop running to MOM (The Government) to control our lives.

Last edited by radiokid (May 27, 2016 12:17 pm)

May 27, 2016 9:20 pm  #4

The point is...I DON"T want a Canadian version of either of these 2 so-called news channels.  We sell out to foreigners we'll get 'it' they way they 'do' it.

Ever-so Poorly.
-------------------------------------------------------------

"In 2016, my hope is we do what New Zealand did get rid of all content rules and allow the market to decide.   Use the CBC as the source of ALL CANADIAN..   It's time to grow up and stop running to MOM (The Government) to control our lives."

This I agree with 100%.  I just don't want 1/2 assed poorly conceived yankee-doodle-dandy broadcasters telling me the Canadian story.  They don't even bother to tell their own... ... ...truthfully.

Last edited by Old Codger (May 27, 2016 9:23 pm)

May 28, 2016 7:41 am  #5

Should Canada's ambassador to Ireland be brought home to clean up this CanCon mess?

May 28, 2016 8:22 am  #6

Who's that?  Gordon Lightfoot?  He's in Belfast and Dublin this coming week.  The Canadian Content Trilogy.  The inauguration, the ultimate failure and collapse of the premise, the de-implementation.

May 28, 2016 9:27 am  #7

Old Codger wrote:

Who's that?

Kevin Vickers, a man of action