sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 14, 2022 7:39 pm  #1

New Bell imaging spot...

One of our Bell for Better commitments is to create an employee-first workplace. Proud to be a Top Family Friendly Employer…

Bell "Top Family Friendly" employer...  ???

"Better Workplace"...  ???

HA!

April 14, 2022 8:15 pm  #2

Re: New Bell imaging spot...

Saw a billboard for same in Stittsville (Carp Rd @ 417) this evening, and I laughed my balls off. Family friendly??? Employer??? Ooookayyyy...

April 14, 2022 10:50 pm  #3

I think we're forgetting all the OTHER departments at Bell.  A friend works in the marketing division.  She's turned down half a dozen job offers - for more money - to stay at Bell.  She got an extra month of paid maternity leave when she told her bosses she wasn't ready to go back yet .  I used to play hockey with brothers who were Bell techs and absolutely LOVED working for the company.   They gave them all sorts of family flexibility,  No job is perfect but they all say they're treated really well.  

Media doesn't make the kinda money it used to.  And maybe it's not the 'company' but the bosses in TV and Radio that suck.    

April 15, 2022 12:35 am  #4

Bell is also running a "come work for us!" spot on Newstalk 1010.

As Bugs Bunny would say, "It is to laugh."

April 15, 2022 6:56 am  #5

Mavridis wrote:

I think we're forgetting all the OTHER departments at Bell.  A friend works in the marketing division.  She's turned down half a dozen job offers - for more money - to stay at Bell.  She got an extra month of paid maternity leave when she told her bosses she wasn't ready to go back yet .  I used to play hockey with brothers who were Bell techs and absolutely LOVED working for the company.   They gave them all sorts of family flexibility,  No job is perfect but they all say they're treated really well.  

Media doesn't make the kinda money it used to.  And maybe it's not the 'company' but the bosses in TV and Radio that suck.    

I guess it's just their customers they treat like garbage. I was once a Bell Sympatico Internet subscriber. They eventually drove me away with their terrible service and never living up to their promises or guarantees. I've never been back and I don't miss them. Plus I'm paying a lot less and getting a lot more now with Teksavvy. 

Work for Bell? Maybe. Subscribe to Bell? That's the unspoken part of the spot that makes me gag.  

April 15, 2022 9:17 am  #6

Bell. Hah!

Very much like all the GOP spluttering about election fraud, and all those being charged for it are....wait for it...guess who?

April 15, 2022 11:35 am  #7

Just looking at Canada's best employers for 2022 in the Globe and Mail, Bell Canada makes the list, as does Rogers Communications.  I have known a few people over the years that worked for Bell Canada and they loved working for the company.  Great pay and benefits, training programs and opportunities for advancement, stock incentives and many perks. But Bell Canada is a different division than Bell Media.  

I have also known people who worked for one of Bell's radio stations and it was not the same story.  One friend told me that in their case the management was poor at communicating information to employees.  However they were also critical of their union which they felt was overly stringent and uncooperative and also poor at communicating to workers.  The working situation among staff, departments and management was not good at this Bell Media station.

Bell Media as big as it is, does not represent that large a chunk of BCE (Bell Canada Enterprises, the parent company) total revenue, only a bit over 10%.  In terms of profit, likely less.  Revenues from advertising are still just coming back from COVID but not always at a robust pace. 

April 15, 2022 11:54 am  #8

Rogers Sports & Media is also only 10% of Rogers Communications Inc. Cable is 25% and Wireless 65%. Could be why, after Ted passed and until recently, CEOs of RCI had a Wireless CV.