sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 13, 2022 6:00 pm  #1

Another One Turns 100: The Legendary KJR

Those of us who lived on the east coast were treated to some pretty great radio in the 60s, including CHUM, WKBW, WGR, WLS, WABC and more. But I've always regretted never being able to hear those outlets out west, which made their marks doing equally great radio. 

KHJ is legendary, of course. But so was Seattle's KJR and people who grew up in Vancouver were very familiar with this Top 40 giant, and its biggest star, Pat O'Day. 

Washington State University runs a site called "History Link.org," which salutes some of that state's most famous events and people. They've just published a close-up look at the history of KJR, and if you grew up listening to it, it's a fascinating look at its start in 1922 and how it became a west coast powerhouse. 

Among the gems:

-In its early rock days, it was owned for a time by no less a duo than Danny Kaye and Frank Sinatra, neither of whom you'd associate with Top 40!

-Pat O'Day's real name was Paul Berg, but took his name when one of the stations he worked at chose an Irish theme.

-In the very early days of radio, there was a Washington station with the call letters KFC. I wonder Col. Sanders ever listened to it?

A Century of KJR Seattle

April 13, 2022 10:22 pm  #2

Re: Another One Turns 100: The Legendary KJR

Another great article. I think the first piece is using the official issuance of the call letters as the birthday of the station. But I suppose unless someone invents a time machine, we'll truly never know for sure which station was first - and when. 

Imagine if there had been an Internet in the 60s, so we could have listened live to KHJ, KFRC and KJR - not to mention CFUN and CKLG in Vancouver. That would have been amazing. Fortunately, thanks to guys like you and Dale Patterson, at least we have some airchecks. But it's not quite the same as being able to experience it live.