sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 5, 2022 12:40 pm  #1

New Gov't. Bill Would Force Tech Giants To Pay Media Outlets For News

I'm still totally against Bill-C11, as outlined in an earlier thread. But as it stands from a preliminary glance at this, I have no real problem with the government trying to protect news outlets from Big Tech, like Facebook, in order for them to get back some badly needed lost revenue. 

Ottawa introduces bill to compel web giants to share revenue with news outlets

April 11, 2022 4:27 pm  #2

Re: New Gov't. Bill Would Force Tech Giants To Pay Media Outlets For News

April 11, 2022 5:57 pm  #3

Re: New Gov't. Bill Would Force Tech Giants To Pay Media Outlets For News

I do have a problem with this part, not from a political or moral point of view, but because the very premise of it is false.

On Tuesday, Heritage Minister Pablo Rodriguez introduced Bill C-18, the Online News Act, which would force digital giants like Google and Facebook to share some of the revenues they generate from posting Canadian news content with the media outlets that produce the stories.

Facebook does not post news.

Facebook users share news, and over 90% of the time, they are sharing posts originally put there by the outlets themselves.

New orgs have entire teams dedicated to social media postings, ensuring proper formatting, timing, and engagement. They do this because they benefit from it. Social media increases their views.

The current government either doesn't understand how social media works, or are in the back pocket of legacy media. Probably  both.

Last edited by RadioAaron (April 11, 2022 5:58 pm)