sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 1, 2022 5:42 pm  #1

John Oakley's Show Implodes On AM 640

It's been a long two pandemic years but the one thing that almost always worked was the connection from home most broadcasters had been using to get their shows on the air. There were occasional glitches, but not many. 

And then came John Oakley's show on AM 640 Friday. It went off the rails for much of the time, and was plagued with technical issues. At one point, he introduced a guest from the Food Bank and then his feed disappeared. Suddenly, listeners were treated to a previously recorded interview with a woman who, I think, was talking about how a relative of hers was murdered. Talk about a sudden change of topic!

There was also another pre-taped interview about a guy who was a victim of the Unabomber. At one point, Oakley came back on to complain that it was April Fool's Day, but the pranks were supposed to end at noon. His equipment, however, didn't appear to agree and he was just as quickly gone again. 

They were even forced to go to an old Arlene Bynon clip introing Tom Mihalik for his regular spot at 4:55 PM.

It was just plain strange. I will say this - it almost certainly was not his fault, but what an absolute mess that show was. Many stations are slowly but surely starting to make plans to return to their studios. I'm guessing that after this show, that day can't come soon enough for the folks at 640.