sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 31, 2022 10:38 am  #1

Back To The Studio: Radio Talent Gets Ready To Return To The Office

CFRB's Jerry Agar mentioned that on-air staff members at NT1010 are being called back to the studio next week, with some having not set foot in the place for over two years due to COVID. The plan? Some will be there one day, while others will come back the next, staggering the returns to minimize the interactions so not all people will be there on the same workday. It still means working from home, but not as often. 

I have a friend at the Canadian Press who told me there's a similar plan in place for their radio people to get back to a brand new headquarters on a staggered basis, as well. Every one of them has been doing their newscasts from home for two years, so not only will they be seeing each other for the first time since the pandemic began, they'll have new digs and new equipment to get used to. Talk about a double whammy!

I also wonder if some things will never return to the way they were. Will the practice of sending a camera person and a reporter out to get a clip from some expert go the way of the dinosaur when you can get the same thing in decent quality via Zoom, saving time, gas and money? 

Will the weather people, like Global's Anthony Farnell, City's Nastasha Ramsahai or CP24's Chris Potter ever be back in set instead of doing a forecast outside from their backyards? COVID has changed a lot of things. While I think broadcasting will eventually return to normal, I wonder how much of what was discovered during this two-year forced experiment will stay for good?

March 31, 2022 2:35 pm  #2

Re: Back To The Studio: Radio Talent Gets Ready To Return To The Office

Good questions.

An observation, CBC News Network has started allowing in-studio guests again, only within the past couple of weeks.

I also know Global BC has been conducting some in-person interviews from their studio building in recent times, though they’ve been using the lobby area instead of the News Hour set.

March 31, 2022 6:42 pm  #3

Then there's this from the Toronto Star:

>> Wastewater readings have been steadily increasing over the past three weeks, during which time the province lifted capacity limits for most indoor public settings, eliminated vaccine passports and scrapped mask mandates at places like schools, gyms, bars and restaurants.
GTA <<

Here's the headline in today's paper:

‘We’re really heading into the storm’: Wastewater readings show Ontario has entered 6th COVID wave

Story is behind the Star's paywall.

March 31, 2022 7:08 pm  #4

mike marshall wrote:

Then there's this from the Toronto Star:

>> Wastewater readings have been steadily increasing over the past three weeks, during which time the province lifted capacity limits for most indoor public settings, eliminated vaccine passports and scrapped mask mandates at places like schools, gyms, bars and restaurants.
GTA <<

Here's the headline in today's paper:

‘We’re really heading into the storm’: Wastewater readings show Ontario has entered 6th COVID wave

Story is behind the Star's paywall.

Not anymore.

March 31, 2022 7:31 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

Not anymore.

Thanks, RA.