sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 30, 2022 10:21 am  #1

TV End Credits: Why Bother If This Is What They Do?

I'm not sure why, but I'm one of those people who likes to read the credits at the end of a TV show. Most of the time, it's just to see who the bit players were in some scenes and whether I've ever seen them before. 

Or at least I used to. The way stations now treat end credits is appalling. Check out how they showed up at the end of CTV's "Transplant" on Tuesday. The promo for another show is nearly full screen, while the names of the otherwise anonymous but talented folks who worked on the show are squeezed into a small black box on the lower right. Even on a big screen TV, they're completely illegible. 

And it's not just CTV. Fox pulled one of these weird moves on Sunday at the end of "Family Guy." The credits started out at the bottom of the screen, but at least you could make them out. But once they got past the list of voice actors, the credit roll sped up so fast as the show reached its end that unless you were willing to put your DVR on pause, there was no way you could possibly read them. It went from 10 km/h to about 500. 

I suppose there's some contractual obligation to air these things, and I feel sorry for those who worked on the shows in question, who never get their public due. But really, if you're just going to make it completely impossible to read the list, what's the point of showing them in the first place? Has anyone else noticed this or been bugged by it? I realize this is a 1%-er complaint but if they're going to give credits where credits are due, at least let those of us who care read them!

March 30, 2022 11:18 am  #2

Re: TV End Credits: Why Bother If This Is What They Do?

I've noticed this is becoming common on many channels in the last few years. Many of the U.S channels I've viewed through ustvgo.tv do this on a regular basis. Any of the channels under the Discovery Channel group, it's routine business to squeeze the credits into a corner of the screen in the last minute or two of a program, then go straight into the next program.Often, a good portion of the ads will be promoting other shows in the Discovery group of channels. It seems as if they have about a dozen channels. I've always enjoy reading the credits at the end of movies or tv shows. Likely due to fact when  my parents took me to see a movie when I was a child, they usually stayed through the credits after seeing a movie at the theater. Mom like to look for the names of the bit players, and who wrote/supervised the music. Dad was happy to stick around after the movie, as he wouldn't have to deal with the crowd exiting the theater or traffic driving home. I've always found it interesting to see the names of all involved in the show. Sometimes they're unusual or quite unique.Often I'll recognize someone who has a small part in a show years before they become famous and can't put the face to a name.                          NASCAR will split the screen during the race to run an ad or two when the race is going on. This is on top of the time allotted for regularly scheduled commercial breaks. In the last week or so I've been unable to access any of the channels on ustvgo.tv. I don't have a VPN, so I'm guessing they've red flagged my IP address as too frequent a user, and not jumping on any of there special offers to buy one of their packages.

Last edited by Norman peters (March 30, 2022 11:20 am)

March 30, 2022 11:44 am  #3

I'm sorry to hear about your ustvgo issues. I'm not sure why you're having trouble with an old standby. Try this one instead, no VPN needed, as far as I know:

123TV - Watch TV Live Stream Online

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who watches end credits. The people who toil on a show deserve to have their work at least acknowledged in this way. By minimizing it for "tune-out" factors, it says they don't matter.

A long time ago, one of my jobs in TV news was to assemble what we called "long credits," which aired every Friday evening after the 6 PM news when time permitted. I can't tell you the headaches this thing caused me. Everyone wanted to be referred to by a different name. "Joe" wasn't good enough, although that's what everyone called him. No, it had to be "Joseph" on screen. 

A middle initial was often requested, so John Doe became John C. Doe. 

And then there were the positions, so Mike Rophone requested his credit be changed from "Audio" to "Audio Engineer" or some other extra moniker. 

They used to drive me crazy, but I tried to accommodate them as much as possible, because it was their only chance to see their names on the screen - and yes, we knew no one but their relatives were actually watching the things. But at least they were full screen and you could read them if you wanted! 

I'm not sure if any TV station in town still does this. 

Another of my pet peeves that I'm seeing more and more of, especially on CTV and the CBC, is the irritating moving banner ads that appear at the bottom of the screen of a TV show. They seem to be for this chocolate cookie or a Dairy Queen treat most often, but hey - you just came back from an overly long commercial break. I don't need to see another one during the show I'm watching. Very irritating and it only makes me want to patronize these sponsors less. But I guess the networks just can't resist the extra revenue. 

March 30, 2022 12:02 pm  #4

I've always been a credit watcher, especially when I had friends that were part of particular production and it was nice to see their names on the screen.  But sometimes you learn things from the credits that make you, "hmmm..."

Case in point, there was a jeopardy episode that aired some time ago that had some unusual-looking (based on shape) text in one of credit pages.  Turns out it was a notification that due to technical issues during the recording of the program, parts of it had to "recreated".  Interesting.

March 30, 2022 3:58 pm  #5

At Christmas time at the end of CTV National News they take about 10 minutes to run their credits for everyone who takes part in the national news operation.  Hundreds and hundreds of names in alphabetical order with photos of many of the staff, some with their families and others on the job. Always a nice touch and eye-opening how many people contribute to the broadcast in front of and behind the camera. 

Hope you are feeling better Peter the K!  

March 30, 2022 4:09 pm  #6

Yes, several of the U.S. networks do the same thing credits-wise but only on Christmas. And those go on for about seven minutes. There are way too many people to list on a weekly basis, so it's understandable why they don't do it more often.

I will say I occasionally see a single name keyed at the very end of NBC Nightly News, and I assume the person is leaving the network and it's their quick way of saying farewell. 

March 30, 2022 4:21 pm  #7

Locally CTV Kitchener will run credits after a Friday newscast maybe once or twice per month.  They break everything down by category- Reporters, weather, videographers, engineering etc.  CTV London does the same thing.  Still surprising how many people take part when they run the credits. 

March 30, 2022 5:40 pm  #8

Thanks for another option for tv channels RA.I'll give a look today.One of the "things that make me go hmmm.I've noticed over the years reading credits,I'll see the same last name over the decades in a certain field,but the first names change. My thinking is the children and grandchildren or other family members get into the same field as their elders. It seems like the name Sonntag (not sure if I have the spelling just right) somewhere in the listings for sound editing/ production. For decades I thought that half the people who did the makeup for countless tv and movie productions was Westmore.The name that stands out is Micheal Westmore in Star Trek NG.

March 30, 2022 7:23 pm  #9

I'm told the URL I provided for Mr. Peters may be redirecting elsewhere. 

Try this one instead if it didn't show up for you and see if it works better: I've made the change in the original post.

123TV - Watch TV Live Stream Online

March 31, 2022 9:42 am  #10

I too am an avid credits watcher, be it movies or TV. I also loved reading the credits on my albums back in the day. I always liked to know who played what.

I totally agree with RA and others about hard working people in the TV industry getting little or no recognition for their efforts. Movies aren't so bad, as there's usually ample opportunity to watch the credits. (Unless you're watching on a commercial network like AMC or something)

Then there are some channels that show the credits in a readable fashion, but they run them along the bottom of the screen during the last minute of the show, so you have to choose between watching the show or the credits. Of course if you have a DVR you can always rewind and watch what you missed.

I can see the networks' point of view, time is money, plus most viewers couldn't care a tinker's cuss about credits. But that leaves the few of us who do out in the cold.