sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 25, 2022 11:29 pm  #1

iHeartRadio Nights With Myles

Had Virgin Radio on this evening with their iHeartRadio Nights with Myles which is one of Virgin's network programs.  They did something that I haven't heard on radio for years.  Justin Bieber is back in town and kicked off his world tour this evening at the Scotiabank Arena.  He is in Ottawa Sunday and Montreal Tuesday, then off through the US, Mexico etc. Back in Toronto for two shows in June and then eventually overseas into 2023. 

Anyway they had station breaks welcoming Bieber back home, lots of back to back Bieber music and Myles played some actuality clips of Justin from interviews etc.  This was spread out over the evening and every hour they played two or three of his songs. 

I had never really listened iHeartRadio Nights with Myles  before; he and the program are both pretty good.  Myles sounds live but I know it likely is voice tracked. His slight English accent gives the show another dimension.  Also he is more a part of the show and does more breaks during the hour than regular VT shows and he utilizes sound effects, even does mini music mix breaks.

Best of all Myles puts the music front and centre and talks about the songs and artists he is playing!!  He also did a good job promoting the next show which is The Friday Night Super Mix With the Angry Kids that is on until 3am.  

This and what Today radio is doing maybe shows that music radio stations are finally making a few changes and trying new things and even playing some music that wouldn't have been on a station like Virgin a few years ago. And announcer personality is becoming more a part of the mix.  

Also the network aspect of the programming is giving smaller markets like Windsor, London, Kitchener better and slicker evening shows that at least sound live.