sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 24, 2022 1:24 pm  #1

Will You Watch The 2nd Biggest TV Show Of The Year This Sunday?

It has traditionally been the second biggest show on broadcast television - usually beaten in the ratings only by the Super Bowl. But TV and times have changed, especially after the pandemic, and it will be very interesting to see how well The Oscars do when they air on ABC (and CTV) this weekend. 

For one thing, many people haven't been to a movie theatre in over two years. And watching a would-be blockbuster on a streaming service, when they're even made available, is extremely expensive. For another, I'm not sure how many have even heard of the films nominated for Best Picture, always the night's biggest prize. 

I'm sure The Academy Awards will still do well, but I will be very surprised if it achieves the blockbuster numbers that it usually gets. I rarely tune in, and will be ignoring it again this year. 

Still, I'm wondering - will you watch all or part of this year's big event? Or do you have something else that will occupy your attention on Sunday night? And if the latter, will you even bother to check out who won what the next day?

I think the pandemic may have changed the glow of this show forever. 

March 24, 2022 1:55 pm  #2

Re: Will You Watch The 2nd Biggest TV Show Of The Year This Sunday?

No.

March 24, 2022 2:29 pm  #3

I will watch bits and pieces but not the whole program.  However this celebration of the best of film is far from the second biggest TV show of the year.  The article from Variety (below) says that it didn't even make the top 100 shows for ratings in 2021.  After the article scroll down to see what Americans actually watched.  OTA TV in the US at least would be out of business if it wasn't for sports....The A. Awards still draw well in Canada. last year 2.26 million for CTV but a huge drop from over 4.5 million in 2020.  https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/top-rated-shows-2021-ncis-yellowstone-squid-game-1235143671/

March 24, 2022 3:39 pm  #4

Leafs/Panthers at 7, new Island of Brian at 10 on HGTV. I keep hoping Leafs will trade for Max Domi,
so far, no luck. Sounds like he's going to happy in Raleigh, but you never know what a free agent'll do.

March 24, 2022 7:02 pm  #5

There's no way this program will be #2 for the year in the US or Canada. The Oscars are dead and rightfully so. The Grammys & Golden Globes could still be highly watched programs but they blow the execution every time. It's been the same show for 20 years with little innovation. 

March 24, 2022 7:14 pm  #6

When I called the show the second most watched of the year, I was referring to the increasingly distant past. As recently as a decade or so ago, the Oscars telecast was considered unbeatable. So much so that all the other networks would only program reruns against it. 

This Sunday, all the competition has original, first run programming opposite Hollywood's big night. That would have been unthinkable previously. Now it's obvious they no longer see it as a threat. I have no doubt it will still do well - it's live and has lots of star power attached. But the curtain has come down on the days when the Oscars won the night handily. And I'm pretty sure it will never attain those heights again. 

March 25, 2022 9:36 pm  #7

I've never once in my life watched the Academy Awards. Why would I start now?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

March 27, 2022 2:14 pm  #8

I'm going to stick with my original choices for tonight -- Leafs/Panthers at 7 and the season debut of Island of Brian
at 10 on HGTV -- but add some must-watch March Madness as a lead-in.
St. Peter's is the talk of the tournament. Tonight at 5, they take on North Carolina in what, win or lose, should be
highly entertaining.
The Peacocks had me on the floor laughing the other night against Purdue, when they did something I'd never
seen before. During an early break in play, St. Peter's entire starting five left the floor while 5 substitutes casually
walked on to replace them. You know you've got a team when you can do that. Also plays with the other team's
heads.

March 27, 2022 2:53 pm  #9

Here's a report on a few reasons why the Oscars have been slipping in the ratings.  Disney (ABC) has also renewed it's contract to carry the big show until 2028.  
https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2016656451643

March 27, 2022 3:49 pm  #10

Anytime one of these shows come on (and I almost never watch them) if I DID decide to spend my time on them, I would DVR the entire thing and start it after the first hour or so.

Skipping through the spots, the boring production numbers and the endless speeches, and I'd probably be done just as it wraps up. It's how I "watch" a lot of live events if and when I do. It's a great way to cut a three hour plus show down to about 60 minutes!

But having said that, I'd much rather watch 60 Minutes!

March 27, 2022 9:57 pm  #11

a lot of crave commercials 

March 27, 2022 10:46 pm  #12

leaf game was much more satisfying.  never watched oscars, stopped watching grammys when metallica lost to jethro tull.  still keep an eye on the junos, but i'm getting too old to stay relevant!

March 27, 2022 11:15 pm  #13

https://twitter.com/davidmackau/status/1508270575902687232?t=ELA9J5pw-r0btmVlbsVoaA&s=19

Here's Will Smith hitting Chris Rock during the Oscars tonight, this'll go down in history, guess Australian tv didn't bleep the swear words.

Pure gold for radio hosts tomorrow and into the week. 🥊

March 27, 2022 11:17 pm  #14

Didn't watch it, just popped onto Twitter to get the Coles Notes version of the red carpet sillymoney, erm, ceremony and the various winners.

March 27, 2022 11:35 pm  #15

https://twitter.com/ladyhaja/status/1508285125632704519?t=XoOPUxB7zH7hyulFemIsew&s=19

Will Smith and his acceptance speech for winning Best Actor *awkward*

March 27, 2022 11:36 pm  #16

betaylored wrote:

https://twitter.com/davidmackau/status/1508270575902687232?t=ELA9J5pw-r0btmVlbsVoaA&s=19

Here's Will Smith hitting Chris Rock during the Oscars tonight, this'll go down in history, guess Australian tv didn't bleep the swear words.

Pure gold for radio hosts tomorrow and into the week. 🥊

The explanation (but was it real?)

March 28, 2022 1:19 am  #17

We really need Letterman back as host.

March 28, 2022 7:08 am  #18

March 28, 2022 10:08 am  #19

I have watched very few Awards shows of any sort over the years. The ones I may have viewed all, or portions of, were when visiting someones home where they had the program on. So much sizzle, yet so little steak. I'll wait till the winners are listed in the mainstream media in the days following the event. Would the producers of these show be able to pass on those over the top swag bags. Hand those scheduled to receive one a glitzy designer bag. A slip of paper that says "This gift that is valued at ( however many 10 s of thousands ) has been donated to, a food bank, childrens hospital, or another legitimate charity.

March 28, 2022 12:04 pm  #20

Island of BRYAN!

Good thing I was in radio.

March 28, 2022 2:51 pm  #21

Ratings were up a bit from last year's disaster, but second worst is nothing to brag about. 

Oscar Ratings Up From Last Year—But Still Second-Worst Ever, Early Numbers Suggest

March 28, 2022 8:00 pm  #22

I watched "part" of the show over-the-air on WKBW.  The "best" part of the broadcast seemed to be the ads.  It seemed that William Mattar had produced some new spots for inclusion in the (local) WKBW broadcast (in the local avails).  The ads were funny, for example slot cars going off the track....and Mattar said "that's not good". and does his "hurt in a car, call William Mattar" tagline.  Another of his ads had a car go off the road - I think it was a scene from a movie....and he said, accidents are never good.  In fact he was poking fun at himself in one of the spots.  I don't think I've seen anything like that in lawyers' advertising here - 

There were some other spots that were funny.  I will concede that the some of the national spots that ran on ABC were much better than the Oscars show.  Sometimes advertisers splurge on spots, for the big broadcast - not unlike the superbowl advertising.  It was refreshing to see "real" products advertised on ABC as opposed to the repetitive non-stop gambling websites that litter Canadian television.  My wife screams at the TV every time "Shae-Lynn Noyes" shows up on the split-screen during free-throws during Raptors games, where Ms. Noyes constantly hypes "Bet-99".  Can all of these betting and gaming sites be making money given the tonnage of their Canadian TV advertising....sorry for being off topic.   But the same Canadian betting site ad(s) over, and over and over again....it's mind numbing.   

March 29, 2022 7:19 am  #23

March 29, 2022 10:34 am  #24

I always find these kind of stories interesting, having been in many control rooms on too many nights where a live broadcast goes wrong. (Can you say election coverage?) Here's the behind-the-scenes tale from the Oscars, at the time of the Smith vs. Rock debacle. If only they'd had a live mic in there!

What Was Happening in the ABC Control Room as Will Smith Slapped Chris Rock

March 29, 2022 11:15 am  #25

https://twitter.com/RicWilson/status/1508446841054113805?t=SmmB8_oHVpBgjscVX-9pvQ&s=19

Ouch. A single sentence. Sad but true.
Say what you Will about the usefulness of social media, sometimes it hits home.

March 29, 2022 9:16 pm  #26

Memes on this are, of course, exploding all over the Internet. Here are two of my favourites. 

March 31, 2022 4:38 pm  #27

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/03/27/whats-inside-the-nearly-140000-dollar-gift-bag-given-to-top-oscar-nominees.html

I almost thought this gift bag story was an April Fool's Day plant, but it's not.

Also, BBC and other sources reporting that the Academy has been saying Will Smith was asked to leave the awards after the assault on Chris Rock, now TMZ reports the Academy isn't telling the truth... as the kids say, whatevs

July 2, 2023 10:48 pm  #28

mike marshall wrote:

I keep hoping Leafs will trade for Max Domi,
so far, no luck.

Well, it’s about time!

July 3, 2023 12:17 am  #29

To paraphrase 'Jerry Maguire': "Domi The Money!" 

Maple Leafs Sign Max Domi to 1-Year Deal