sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 16, 2016 8:12 am  #1

Dear Radio: Saying “Goodbye” to My 20-Year Career

May 16, 2016 1:09 pm  #2

Re: Dear Radio: Saying “Goodbye” to My 20-Year Career

There are some pretty damning allegations against Newcap and it's HR practices, including overtime and work place conduct that I would hope they would address.  I read the article with a grain of salt.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

May 16, 2016 2:24 pm  #3

There are 3 sides to every story...but for those that have been unceremoniously canned by radio management...some of her points are well taken.

May 16, 2016 3:10 pm  #4

I agree, but as program director at the station for 6 years according to the resume, wasn't it also part of her responsibility to correct many of the problems she experienced?  I have no way of knowing otherwise, and she may have been actively working toward change in the environment, but It seems they only became a real issue the day after HR delivered the manila envelope.

Honestly this seems like one of those 'letters to myself' that are cathartic to compose, comforting to read to yourself, but shouldn't be posted in public.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

May 16, 2016 6:43 pm  #5

Here's the thing, there are people in radio who make a lot of money, and there are those who say "there's no money in radio".  What separates the two?   Talent, effort, attitude, luck?

May 16, 2016 10:38 pm  #6

I didn't read the article and subsequently devour it like a grain of salt Ig.  She nailed it.  And everything she said is right on...and not just for NEWCAP.  It's the whole industry.  And Over the exact 20 years she's writes about...I'd already washed radio down the drain as being all that from before her day 1..

Oh sure the female perspective is unique.  But I'll tell you Kate...M O S T employees...women AND MEN...get the shit end of the stick.  Only the chosen few make decent dollars.  AND ...R.Q ... it has little to do with talent, effort, attitude or luck.  [well maybe luck to a degree and talent a little bit]

You see Ig...most radio people don't work in 'the big smoke'.  In fact for most the ONLY smoke they get is the smoke blowing out of the ass of their PD or GM.  In the smaller markets almost NO on-air staff can live on what they're paid by the station.  A 2nd job is imperative if one wants to keep even one nostril above the water line.  Oh sure the owner is living the life of luxury and spending to impress...especially if he or she owns a few stations saturated with that poverty line existence for the staff.  Maybe the morning man/PD/MD guy has enough money to make it on his sole pay-cheque ... but not with any degree of ease.  And the 60 hour week they put in?  That's what it is if he or she is slacking.

Talent and luck?  Well folks HAVE to have SOME talent unless it's a station located in some way the heck out of the way hell-hole that NO ONE honestly wants to move to/live in... ... ...especially for the freakin' peanuts being offered.  After all you sure as shit aren't going to be 'discovered' being USED and abused way the heck up north living in and amongst the moose and the wolves.  Besides...people don't really 'pay their dues' anymore.  There's no all night show where one can learn and earn their way up the ladder toward what will become eventual and certain dismissal.  There are just owners willing to plunder you for whatever you'll give them before you begin to earn more than THAT position pays.

Those who REALLY 'have it' had better have it all.  You better be morning show material...and I don't mean anything less than 2nd banana 'cause anything less is a part-time/short term gig.  And IF you make it somewhere in the morning  [and I mean really MAKE IT...like if you leave the station goes down the shitter] stay there.  In spite of most PDs...the ONLY thing that makes a morning show successful?  More than talent, effort, attitude or luck?  Consistency.  Top banana/top 2 bananas HAVE to stay put.  Consistency...and working the town.  Get out and get to know EVERYBODY..  [and don't be an ass]  Kate said it...the O N L Y 2 things that matter are the audience and the tunes.

Beware PDs who want to airlift you to a new city.  YOU think they want you for what YOU do?  THEY think they can mold you into what they want.  They'll mould you alright.  Then they'll be gone...and so will you...if you don't precede them out the door. There was a saying a few years back...7-8 years maybe?  Went something like..."It's all good." 

They obviously weren't talking about radio.

Last edited by Old Codger (May 16, 2016 10:43 pm)

May 17, 2016 4:24 pm  #7

I feel compelled to add this oldie but rarely played goodie at this point.

Best song about radio ever and still true today.

Last edited by RadioActive (May 17, 2016 4:25 pm)

May 17, 2016 6:32 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

I feel compelled to add this oldie 

I feel compelled to add:

BJ the DJ, only twenty-four
A wreck at 90 MPH he'll spin the hits no more

May 17, 2016 8:15 pm  #9

Seriously people, G I V E your 'head' a SHAKE. THIS industry "makes a few but breaks YOU".... .... If you're NOT in THE Big S M O K E, the big town HOKEY POKE, you are 'lucky' to get the peel from the PD's banana at the end of every work day as your pay.

There is N O T H I N G good ABOUT the radio industry AT ALL "anymore". When THIS GUY had his finger in the PIE (back when Dick "I've Got a Trick" S M Y T H was ending lives with a toss of his typewriter) there were enough slices to go around! Now.... ..... Those 10-inch pies HAVE become 2-inch TARTS.

In all seriousness though, I'm no Old Codger, but have found growing success thanks to talent (debatable), effort, attitude and luck in a fairly large market.

Old Codger is correct when it comes to "paying your dues". Hard to do that when programming options outside of the weekday morning/afternoon drive are few and far between. In many cases where those small shifts in the evenings or on weekends are available, they do not pay. You're told that your payment is the experience gained, which is cheap, dirty, and demeaning. Anything to keep the budget down and the shareholders happy.

May 17, 2016 11:28 pm  #10

all I can say is there is not too much to listen to on Toronto radio. Almost nothing and that's why my station of choice is WBFO. The NPR station from Buffalo even with the poor signal.

WOLD is a good song but maybe the last DJ by Tom Petty is more appropriate.

The other radio songs that come from a time when radio mattered:

Turn Your Radio On - John Hardford
You Turn Me On I'm Your Radio- Joni Mitchell
Do You Remember Rock'n Roll Radio - The Ramones
Mr Radio - ELO - Jeff Lynne tune but from that first ELO album when The Move were still alive and ELO was mostly the brainchild of Roy Wood
Video Killed The Radio Star - The Buggles
Radio Free Europe - REM
and well one of the best songs about radio - Mexican Radio by The Wall of Voodoo:

Last edited by Fitz (May 17, 2016 11:29 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

May 18, 2016 2:28 pm  #11

I was with the article until the last line.

Exceptions aside, radio's pretty good at abusing everybody, not just women. The situation won't be remedied with the narrow focus of being gender-specific.