sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 10, 2016 9:58 am  #1

Solving the revenue vs number of commercials paradox

Heard 6 commercials in a row at 720-ish am today.  That's when I started counting - I'm sure there was more.  

One of our nation's most respected programmers manages and programs this station.  

When one of our nation's best allows stacks of commercials that reduce listener receptivity, retention, recall, response and - ergo - revenue (what I call the Five Rs of media), this evidences a sales problem - not just a programming problem.  

Sales needs to get more dollars per minute for their inventory, but as our industry increasingly chases digital dollars (a good thing), we're ignoring the MAIN thing.

Outside of ratings-influenced revenue, how do you get more revenue per minute along with more total revenue?  Another "Listen to Win" contest?  Another event sponsorship?  More Return On Investment selling?  

Continuing to do what the rest of the industry does will not make our advertisers prioritize us as the unique and compelling choice to deploy their dollars.

Keep it simple.  Give advertisers what they want:  a documented result - and you can do it with both spot inventory as well as your digital services.  Yep - give them specific, measured-to-the-penny proof of the business you're sending them, week after week after week, month after month, year after year.  Irrefutable evidence in any market that attributes millions of documented dollars to your station's advertising that makes your station the advertising vehicle of choice - and they pay more for the privilege.

It's been done thousands of times in radio across Canada, and more so, Stateside.  I feed my family doing so - inside and outside of radio - and yet there is no other station or newspaper doing so for the past number of years, as human nature defaults to chasing new and shiny things, and ignoring the main thing - what our advertisers want in the first place.  We give lip service to 52 week contracts, but we're not servicing advertisers with 52 weeks of results they can measure.

Is there any wonder that our industry revenue is flat-lining?

It's so much fun to look local advertisers in the eye, when they tell you they've made millions of dollars from what you've done for them.

Last edited by Andy McNabb (May 10, 2016 3:32 pm)

Andy McNabb
AndyMcNabb.com

May 10, 2016 4:23 pm  #2

Re: Solving the revenue vs number of commercials paradox

Andy McNabb wrote:

One of our nation's most respected programmers manages and programs this station . . . how do you get more revenue per minute along with more total revenue?    Keep it simple.    It's so much fun to look local advertisers in the eye, when they tell you they've made millions of dollars from what you've done for them

Who is Peterborough's most respected manager & programmer this week?

May 10, 2016 7:59 pm  #3

Geo, how does your smart ass comment contribute to the conversation?  What a dickish thing to reply with. 

Anyway, a three minute commercial island isn't at all uncommon even in small markets.

Last edited by Prod Guy (May 10, 2016 10:33 pm)

May 10, 2016 9:47 pm  #4

One of the nation's most respected programmers is obviously, then, NO LONGER ***A N Y*** of THAT.  I'm sorry.  But if you don't respect the audience then you're toast as far as I'm concerned.  All you're doing is severing the entire medium at the neck.  But then isn't that MUCH of radio today?  The message is the message.  Crap in.  Crap on.  Crap out.

May 10, 2016 10:01 pm  #5

On a side note... I was going through a tape of WUTV-29 from May 1987... one section had 4:30 minutes of commercials during prime time.

Has anything really changed?

P.S.  I remember the days when WUTV used to stop 7 minute long Looney Tunes in the middle for a commercial break...

May 10, 2016 11:02 pm  #6

And out of all that crawled FOX.  DOA

May 11, 2016 5:45 am  #7

Prod Guy wrote:

a three minute commercial island isn't at all uncommon even in small markets

Mr. McNabb's point was that they "reduce listener receptivity, retention, recall, response . . . ".      Even O.C. and Davester agree