sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 9, 2022 5:22 pm  #1

How Long Until Radio Hosts Come Back To Their Studios?

For two years, most on-air types have been broadcasting from their basements, attics, bedrooms, kitchens or other emptied out rooms in their homes. Now that the province has finally announced a date for dropping most mask mandates (March 21st) when do you think radio people will be returning to their actual studios and the real equipment they're used to? And do they want to go back? 

Not only that, but with TV newscasters delivering reports from their basement rec rooms, when are they expected to show up in a real set? 

You'd think they will have to come back eventually. The real question is when? The other query is how much of what's been learned from all these remotes is here to stay? If you no longer have to send a camera crew and a reporter out to get a clip from an expert, is the slightly lower quality of a Zoom or other connection worth the time and money savings to become the way it will be done from now on?

I have to say, with certain rare exceptions and a few glitches, I've been amazed at how well the technology has held up. Imagine if this same pandemic had happened in say, 1980. What would TV and radio stations have done then? I think the way it used to be may be a thing of the past. 

Still, not everyone is happy to be home. I have a newscaster friend who tells me he's anxious to get rid of the set-up that's been a part of his living room for the past 600+ days, and he'd appreciate returning to the real professional equipment that made his life - and his job - a lot easier. 

Anyone here looking forward to the return? Anyone know if and when it will happen? 

March 9, 2022 7:37 pm  #2

Re: How Long Until Radio Hosts Come Back To Their Studios?

The jocks at boom never left the studios.

March 9, 2022 7:46 pm  #3

Re: How Long Until Radio Hosts Come Back To Their Studios?

Maybe that's why they have always sounded so good. I'm very impressed with the on-air production on Boom.