sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 28, 2022 5:39 pm  #1

A Weird Way To Listen To Radio: Who Thought This Would Catch On?

Ever heard of the Bone Fone? Now you have. But you probably never will again. This is from 1980 and is now consigned to the scrap heap of history. Fair to say whoever thought of it made a boner?

By the way, if this looks like something that might have appealed to you, there still are some for sale on eBay. 

March 1, 2022 10:03 am  #2

Re: A Weird Way To Listen To Radio: Who Thought This Would Catch On?

I definitely remember seeing ads for this back then. I always thought it was a pretty ridiculous idea. I imagine the success of the Walkman drove this right out of the market.

March 1, 2022 10:08 am  #3

I agree with you, but be honest - isn't there a small part of some of us who wants to try this at least once, just to see if it actually works and what it feels and sounds like? 

March 1, 2022 1:13 pm  #4

One of Mad magazine's characters was Joe Fone Bone!!!!
I have a framed picture of him somewhere.

March 1, 2022 1:18 pm  #5

Ale Ont wrote:

I was thinking if this “bone radio” idea was just used to cater to a small subset of the audience, would that be called “marrow-casting” 😁😁😁😁

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

March 1, 2022 1:57 pm  #6

Ale Ont wrote:

I believe you're thinking of Ringo Fonebone, otherwise known as Captain Klutz!

March 30, 2022 12:18 am  #7

RadioActive wrote:

Ever heard of the Bone Fone? Now you have. But you probably never will again. This is from 1980 and is now consigned to the scrap heap of history. Fair to say whoever thought of it made a boner?

By the way, if this looks like something that might have appealed to you, there still are some for sale on eBay. 

None of the usual paywall defeaters work for the Wall St. Journal, but it just did an article on Joseph Sugarman, the creator of the now infamous Bone Fone, and the fact that he passed away earlier this month. The Bone Fone may have been launched just a few months before The Walkman, which killed any chances the idea had, but Sugarman rebounded in life, coming up with pocket calculators and BluBlocker sunglasses. He was a master marketer who made a fortune and died at the age of 83.

WSJ Excerpt: Marketing Maverick Pitched Laser Mousetrap and Bone Fone Radio
https://clearthis.page/?u=https://www.wsj.com/articles/marketing-maverick-pitched-laser-mousetrap-and-bone-fone-radio-11648575261?mod=hp_featst_pos4