sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 27, 2022 6:21 pm  #1

CNN Slammed For Sunday Night Documentary On Alex Jones

He's an unapologetic conspiracy theorist who claimed, among other things, the horrific Sandy Hook school shooting was a hoax and that dead kids and their grieving parents were actors, meant to spur sympathy for gun control. He's lost numerous court cases with his outrageous claims. And he's a real a-hole to boot. 

All of which is why there's so much outrage at the documentary CNN is showing Sunday night at 10 PM. It's a show about Alex Jones, the guy behind those horrendous and completely false theories. This being CNN, I highly doubt it will be complimentary but it aims to trace how he became a force in American and social media.

But some are angry he's getting any notice on the network at all. 

CNN Slammed for Airing Alex Jones Special Report: ‘Don’t Support Hate’

February 27, 2022 6:31 pm  #2

Re: CNN Slammed For Sunday Night Documentary On Alex Jones

People should probably realize it won't be a fawning puff piece.  He'll probably threaten to sue them over it.

February 27, 2022 6:52 pm  #3

I think the timing of this is appropriate, and some of the twitter comments in the Wrap are acting like the program is a 60 minute infomercial for Alex Jones.  As mentioned above, it will be the opposite and the unhinged and not very bright Mr. Jones will be out for all to see.  Not so sure about "all this outrage on the documentary" comment, I haven't heard anything about outrage or criticism of this program until now. 

CNN in my opinion has been doing an excellent job with their coverage of the war so far.  Some of their military analysts are first rate and CNN's chief international correspondent Clarissa Ward's reports from Ukraine are exceptional.  Both CTV and CBC news channels are also doing a solid job with their coverage and field reporters on scene.  

Last edited by paterson1 (February 27, 2022 6:53 pm)

February 28, 2022 11:02 am  #4

There was too much going on last evening in Ukraine and CNN didn't run either the Alex Jones program or the three editions of Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown that were scheduled.  

February 28, 2022 11:22 am  #5

paterson1 wrote:

There was too much going on last evening in Ukraine and CNN didn't run either the Alex Jones program or the three editions of Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown that were scheduled.  

It looks like it wasn't just the breaking news that led to its not being shown. Apparently, viewers will never get the chance to see it, even if they wanted to. 

Alex Jones: CNN cancels much-trailed documentary after outrage from viewers

February 28, 2022 11:50 am  #6

RadioActive wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

It looks like it wasn't just the breaking news that led to its not being shown. Apparently, viewers will never get the chance to see it, even if they wanted to. 

Alex Jones: CNN cancels much-trailed documentary after outrage from viewers

Where did it say it will never air?

February 28, 2022 11:55 am  #7

paterson1 wrote:

This is the most likely reason.   

CNN quite often cancels their docs/series airing whenever there is pressing current issues.

February 28, 2022 11:56 am  #8

I suppose they could. But given the blowback, my suspicion is they don't want the heat and are likely to scrap the whole thing. I would be surprised if ever runs on the network. If they cancelled it once because of complaints, why would they possibly give it a second shot? I'm sure they'd prefer if it just went away. 

February 28, 2022 3:25 pm  #9

I think they will run it at some point, all of this "outrage" is misplaced. And if not CNN it will show up on one of the streamers. CNN dropped all of their regularly scheduled programming last night and this morning and were live all night.

CBC News Network had an excellent documentary called Big News earlier this year.  The doc traced the history of how the news was covered earlier in 50's to the 80's and how a lot changed when the Fairness Doctrine was revoked in 1987, This change made it alright for news coverage in the US to become very one sided, okay to encourage polarization, and make the other side the enemy.  News and information programs became more like entertainment or sports.  If you get a chance to see Big News it is well worth the time. Also sad to see what has become of so called journalism on both the right and left.    

February 28, 2022 3:45 pm  #10

paterson1 wrote:

CBC News Network had an excellent documentary called Big News earlier this year.  The doc traced the history of how the news was covered earlier in 50's to the 80's and how a lot changed when the Fairness Doctrine was revoked in 1987, This change made it alright for news coverage in the US to become very one sided, okay to encourage polarization, and make the other side the enemy.  News and information programs became more like entertainment or sports.  If you get a chance to see Big News it is well worth the time. Also sad to see what has become of so called journalism on both the right and left.    

It's available online for free on CBC Gem.

Big News on CBC Gem

March 1, 2022 1:13 am  #11

I don't understand viewers being so sensitive that they can't even bear to watch a documentary about someone they don't like.  It almost certainly wasn't going to show him in a positive light.

March 1, 2022 2:15 am  #12

thing is about american politics.... cnn running this program is simply preaching to the choir.  facts don't matter any more and the source is irrelevant as long as it aligns with your own echo chamber.

Last edited by splunge (March 1, 2022 2:16 am)

March 1, 2022 2:18 pm  #13

splunge wrote:

thing is about american politics.... cnn running this program is simply preaching to the choir.  facts don't matter any more and the source is irrelevant as long as it aligns with your own echo chamber.

Rest assured splunge, this show on Alex Jones would be all about the facts. That's why some of those that didn't want it aired on CNN were complaining so much.  You know, "now isn't the time to have a program like this"...Don't worry this show absolutely will air.  Hope some took the time to view Big News on CBC Gem. 

March 1, 2022 5:25 pm  #14

In a completely different direction, HBO was supposed to debut a two-part special called "The Larry David Story," based on the creator of Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm. It was scheduled to air 9 PM Tuesday night, also streaming in Canada on Crave. 

But it was pulled on the same day that it was set to debut. Why? The reasons are explained as happening "after David was not happy with the finished product and opted to redo it with a live audience."

Hmm, not sure I buy that, and there's been no date for when it might finally hit air. But this is definitely not 'pretty, pretty, pretty good.' 

HBO Pulls Larry David Documentary Hours Before Its Scheduled Premiere

March 1, 2022 6:24 pm  #15

This piece also claims that Larry David is simply not satisfied with the current finished product;  which is not all that  surprising, as he is known to take his time on projects.

https://clearthis.page/?u=https://puck.news/larry-david-just-shelved-his-own-documentary-before-it-aired/

Last edited by Media Observer (March 1, 2022 7:53 pm)

June 12, 2022 8:13 pm  #16

CNN cancelled the Alex Jones Story-Megaphone for Conspiracy back in late February when the War in Ukraine was just beginning and breaking news had taken over the schedule.  The special is airing right now on CNN and repeated again at 11pm.  I imagine the network will also air the program various more times in the future.