sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 5, 2016 10:29 am  #1

Howard and Ingrid Christensen of Broadcast Dialogue

Edited version of personal email sent this morning...

Dear Howard and Ingrid,

Understandable - but very, very regrettable news in today’s Broadcast Dialogue pdf announcing your ceasing of production at the end of June. 

Thank-you so much for your years of commitment and service to this industry.  Your work sets a standard of excellence – not just in broadcast journalism, but for journalism, period.  Not only that, you both leave a legacy of professionalism and endearment across this country.

What you two have done is create the one platform that connects, educates, informs and engages all of us in Canadian broadcasting, where no other endeavour comes close to matching what you do. 

May there be those on both the journalism and business side that will step forward and contact you to pick up the torch with the same standards that you have established.  The continuity of your brand, your wisdom, experience and industry contacts are all invaluable.

With great appreciation for all that you do,
Andy 

Last edited by Andy McNabb (May 5, 2016 10:29 am)

Andy McNabb
AndyMcNabb.com

May 5, 2016 6:23 pm  #2

Re: Howard and Ingrid Christensen of Broadcast Dialogue

All I can add is Amen....

May 5, 2016 8:30 pm  #3

Howard was my predecessor in a job many years ago...many...

Never had the pleasure of meeting him in person...

Is this strictly a retirement ??

If so congratulations Howard and all the best...

May 5, 2016 10:01 pm  #4

i remember when howard first decided to set off on this new adventure (i believe ingrid was still with vw canada at the time). it was a natural fit since howard had created a relationship with so many stations, thanks to his former position at bn. he picked up the ashes of another former magazine (i believe he contributed an article or two to that publication) and ran with it. i can just see him making the announcement to us atlantic canada management types at an aab convention in saint john's (and ingrid telling me how he was a bit nervous). thank you howard and ingrid! your efforts are noteworthy!

May 6, 2016 6:48 am  #5

Broadcast Dialogue will most certainly be missed and like Andy, I'm hoping someone will 'pick up the torch' to continue the effort to keep the industry informed of all the inside news and latest happenings. Howard and Ingrid have done a wonderful job and after 25 years deserve some rest and relaxation, although the 'cease publication' notice doesn't say that they are actually retiring. I for one hope that's the case unless there's a new announcement in the works. 

May 6, 2016 7:25 am  #6

I was shocked when I read the opening paragraph.  Since the damn thing used to arrive by fax it was always something I looked forward to reading.  the void it will leave will be substantial, more because the existing options are little more than Canada NewsWire for broadcasters, or behind a paywall that the vast majority of people within the business can't access.  (Or choose not to, I guess.)

Like everyone else, I offer my deep thanks to them both for offering up this service over the years, the constant grind and demands of a weekly deadline, not to mention paying the rent, take it out of you.  They've done a great job and I hope, much like broadcasters and industry bean counters, their exceptional contribution to this industry will be recognized with some type of award.

Thank you H&I!  I appreciate everything you folks offered up.

There are obvious opportunities here for some of the existing 'services' and publications out there, it'll be interesting if they explore them.  

I miss Broadcast (+) Technology magazine with all the Glentronix and Dynamix ads .

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.