sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 11, 2022 8:02 am  #1

Why is CBC radio forgetting its classical music lovers?

The Star's highbrow critic William Littler wonders whatever happened to classical music on CBC Radio.

"The orchestras and concerts have disappeared and so has most of the critical commentary associated with them. To be blunt about it, from a musical point of view, CBC English-language radio has dumbed down."

Why is CBC radio forgetting its classical music lovers?

February 11, 2022 1:12 pm  #2

Re: Why is CBC radio forgetting its classical music lovers?

Most of the day is classical music from morning to early afternoon so I dont know. 

February 11, 2022 2:33 pm  #3

^ What markow202 said plus didn't CBC a while back very publicly decide that they needed to broaden the appeal of their music station to a more varied demographic?

Last edited by Leslieville Bill (February 11, 2022 2:33 pm)

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

February 13, 2022 10:18 pm  #4

Radio II was great when it was available only in large urban areas like Toronto and Montreal. But when they started to expand the network into smaller communities like London, Kitchener and Kingston, the Toronto centric elitists at CBC decided they needed to dumb it down for us hicks out here. They flipped it from mostly classical and Jazz to an all garage band format.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

February 13, 2022 11:11 pm  #5

They went from developing the careers of dead people to developing Canadian talent.  Everyone wants an all-Canadian CBC except for when it comes to losing something they like.