sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 9, 2022 5:13 pm  #1

CTV removes brand from station vehicles for safety's sake

https://twitter.com/JThompsonCTV/status/1491485627686154241?t=sICo6xGjO8XzbzcueZOY-A&s=19

Smart move. Sad moment.

Hope this is temporary. Safety first tho, you don't want the reporters and production teams to be any more at risk than necessary.

Last edited by betaylored (February 9, 2022 5:18 pm)

February 10, 2022 11:19 am  #2

Re: CTV removes brand from station vehicles for safety's sake

Having to do something like this is absolutely sad. My parents, and my grandparents, were in the print biz - heck, my grandfather, who passed away in 2020 in his mid 90s (non-covid), had been the publisher/editor of more than one paper in Simcoe County! Regardless, it is sad that here in Canada, a country well known for its freedom of expression and freedom of the press, journalists and others who do all the day-to-day work of gathering and presenting the news are being attacked, intimidated and threatened over little more than the fact that they are simply doing their job of reporting on current events and issues, and presenting the facts.  Even my most recent employer has been on the receiving end of attacks and threats over their coverage of current and recent events and issues at the local level, and the attackers have reportedly approached the company's advertisers and even the CRTC, calling for their stations to be "defunded". I can understand why this would happen elsewhere in the world, but not in Canada.

Going back to the CFRN/CTV Edmonton tweet, I often don't agree with how Bell is run, especially their media division.  But I'm not going to trash someone like Graham Richardson on CJOH or Annette Goerner on CHRO (CTV2 Ottawa/Valley), simply because they're presenting facts or other content that goes against my beliefs/opinions/values/etc.  Would I have attacked Dave Devall over a snowstorm that would prevent me from travelling somewhere? No way. Don't shoot the messenger, people!

Even on something as irritating and hypocritical as Bell Let's Talk Day... it's not necessarily the anchors and reporters that are to blame, or anybody at the local level... they're simply doing their jobs and following orders from corporate.  If I truly disagree with the fact that this campaign gets wall-to-wall coverage on CTV's (or, in Quebec, Noovo's) newscasts, or if I feel that CTV is sensationalizing things or possibly not telling the whole story or both sides of a story, I would express my displeasure by taking it up with Bell Media brass and not the "frontline workers" at the individual stations.  To sum up, I may like the anchors and reporters as people and as broadcast journalists in general, but I'm not a fan of their corporate superiors.

As the late Detroit TV news anchor Bill Bonds once said, "the truth may hurt", and if the truth and facts are so hurtful, offensive and inconvenient to you, that's on you, and only you. Nobody else is to blame.  And again, absolutely nobody, whether in the media, healthcare, education, retail or whatever, should have to live and work in fear of being attacked or threatened over the work they do.