sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 8, 2022 2:44 am  #1

Olympic Hockey on TSN 1050

I was running errands tonight and to my surprise TSN 1050 was airing the women’s Olympic hockey game.
It didn’t take long to realize that TSN radio was using a feed from TSN 2 on TV which was using a feed from CBC.
The result was two announcers referring to replays which couldn’t be seen, audio of the CBC intermission and the TSN intermission shows being heard, extra long commercial breaks where I assume the TV channels were showing other highlights and at the end of it all the TSN post game TV feed was chopped off mid sentence, followed by another long commercial break into syndicated ESPN Radio programming about NBA basketball. You couldn’t have made it sound worse if you tried.

February 8, 2022 2:56 am  #2

Re: Olympic Hockey on TSN 1050

It reminds me of Blue Jays baseball for most of last season.

February 8, 2022 5:02 am  #3

Harks back to the days of CP24 Radio 1050.

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

February 8, 2022 5:35 am  #4

Paul Jeffries wrote:

Agreed. What a waste of electricity 1050 has become.  It could have been managed so much better than this.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 8, 2022 7:19 am  #5

You could have simply changed the station. Grumpy Old Men that want to complain about everything

February 8, 2022 8:26 am  #6

peter wrote:

You could have simply changed the station. Grumpy Old Men that want to complain about everything

I don't know. I think it's a legit criticism, since this was such a big deal with the Blue Jays, as noted. And frankly, given how tight the rights restrictions are with the Olympics (you can only show stills on competing newscasts, not a second of viz), I'm frankly surprised it appeared on the radio at all. And wouldn't it be CBC Radio's to air in any case?   

But since you brought it up...

February 8, 2022 5:23 pm  #7

The rights package is the property of CBC.  They allow TSN to broadcast the audio of the hockey games using TSN TV audio.

February 8, 2022 7:56 pm  #8

Radiowiz wrote:

Paul Jeffries wrote:

Agreed. What a waste of electricity 1050 has become.  It could have been managed so much better than this.

Sure, but it would have had to have happened in the 80s or maybe early 90s. Once 590, 680, and 1010 were entrenched in Sports, News, and Talk, there was nothing left.

February 8, 2022 10:23 pm  #9

RadioAaron wrote:

Sure, but it would have had to have happened in the 80s or maybe early 90s. Once 590, 680, and 1010 were entrenched in Sports, News, and Talk, there was nothing left.

With Moses in acquisition mode as of late, I wonder if he'd have any interest in scooping 1050 up. 

February 9, 2022 3:24 am  #10

peter wrote:

I wanted to hear the play-by-play.  That tends to be why people listen to live sports on the radio.  When it's done correctly there's nothing to complain about which is what I would have preferred. 

February 9, 2022 3:29 am  #11

Ale Ont wrote:

The rights package is the property of CBC.  They allow TSN to broadcast the audio of the hockey games using TSN TV audio.

CBC Radio did do separate play-by-play from the TV broadcast at one time.  With previous events which have been sublicensed to Bell radio stations they have carried radio play-by-play if memory serves. 

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (February 9, 2022 3:29 am)