sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 26, 2022 5:10 pm  #1

640 Unveils New Slogan

It's been all over the station Wednesday afternoon, with every intro back into a show from a spot now featuring this phrase: "Toronto's News, Today's Talk."

An answer to CFRB's "Where Toronto Gets Answers" and a swipe at CityNews 680?

Not a big deal in the end, but I suspect it's going to become their official promo tagline. 

January 26, 2022 6:02 pm  #2

Re: 640 Unveils New Slogan

Notice that Corus has also scrapped the "Global News Radio" brand across the country (outside of the hourly/half hourly news bulletins on Corus' news-talk stations), except on CHQT in Edmonton where they are the all-news station in town.

January 26, 2022 6:43 pm  #3

Makes sense, I guess. When you have 680 heavily marketed as "City News" with an all-news format, people might presume "Global News Radio" to be Global's version of the same thing.

January 26, 2022 7:20 pm  #4

ED1 wrote:

Notice that Corus has also scrapped the "Global News Radio" brand across the country (outside of the hourly/half hourly news bulletins on Corus' news-talk stations), except on CHQT in Edmonton where they are the all-news station in town.

Website has not yet been updated to promote the new slogan. 
https://globalnews.ca/radio/640toronto/  

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 26, 2022 7:23 pm  #5

This will turn everything around.

January 27, 2022 1:09 pm  #6

Radiowiz wrote:

ED1 wrote:

Website has not yet been updated to promote the new slogan. 
https://globalnews.ca/radio/640toronto/  

Logo has changed though. It's now just "640|Toronto".

CHML's logo has also gone through the change.

January 27, 2022 1:49 pm  #7

Before:

Now:

January 30, 2022 12:53 pm  #8

So, a full red circle means the talk program is about to start and a mostly grey circle means the program is about to end?  Interesting. The current time isn't good enough info?? 

January 30, 2022 1:48 pm  #9

I believe the grey is how much is left to go. Red is what has already aired. But I agree, unnecessary.

February 1, 2022 10:58 am  #10

Speaking of new slogans, here's one I'd love to see CFRB use, considering their recent programming changes on Saturday and Sunday:

Newstalk 1010:

With Moore in the Morning on weekdays

And less in the morning on weekends. 

February 2, 2022 10:05 pm  #11

They've mostly wiped out the Global News Radio moniker, except for one spot that keeps playing - it features Alan Carter and Farah Nasser touting the 6 PM Global News audio airing on 640.

They not only use the term "Global News Radio" in the piece, but it also features Nasser, who's been on a leave of absence for the past month. Might be time to upgrade this promo. 

February 3, 2022 8:29 am  #12

RadioActive wrote:

They've mostly wiped out the Global News Radio moniker, except for one spot that keeps playing - it features Alan Carter and Farah Nasser touting the 6 PM Global News audio airing on 640.

They not only use the term "Global News Radio" in the piece, but it also features Nasser, who's been on a leave of absence for the past month. Might be time to upgrade this promo. 

Shows how much they care about "Digital storage" content. 
If they're not willing to care about that today, what will they neglect tomorrow? 
Such a shame too because
I really thought AM 640 was going to care about their programming a lot more than NT 1010...Oh well!