sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 6, 2015 11:15 pm  #1

1050 Chum

Didn't realize till now, it was on this day, June 6th. 1986, 29 years ago, that 1050 Chum dropped it's top-40 format in favor of a gold based AC experiment.  It also marked the end of the CHUM Chart.

Apparently the last song was 'We Built this City" by Starship, and the new format was launched with "Beginnings" by Chicago. 

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

June 7, 2015 4:30 am  #2

Re: 1050 Chum

ig wrote:

Didn't realize till now, it was on this day, June 6th. 1986, 29 years ago, that 1050 Chum dropped it's top-40 format in favor of a gold based AC experiment.  It also marked the end of the CHUM Chart.

Apparently the last song was 'We Built this City" by Starship, and the new format was launched with "Beginnings" by Chicago. 

We built this city was CFTR's last song too. Interesting.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 7, 2015 8:04 am  #3

"Days which live in infamy"

F.D.R.

June 7, 2015 9:14 am  #4

I dunno.  While I was a little wee bit more partial to CFTR as a Top 40 (it was tighter than CHUM was), I really think CFTR made a wise decision to jump on the news format.  680 News has been a runaway success, no doubt about it, and the "news" franchise has made for a format template that was able to be implemented in other cities.  Rogers did right with that one.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

June 7, 2015 10:44 am  #5

...And to think 680 hasn't changed since. 1050 changed back to music how many times since going to sports?

June 7, 2015 10:50 am  #6

The last jock of CHUM's Top 40 era was Terry Steele. CHUM-AM went jockless for a few days (after an introductory announcement from PD Terry Williams) and then morning man Don Percy became the first jock in the new format on Monday, June 9. Percy was long gone by the time CHUM-AM changed format again, to oldies, in September 1989.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

June 7, 2015 10:56 am  #7

ShaneAlexander wrote:

...And to think 680 hasn't changed since. 1050 changed back to music how many times since going to sports?

CHUM-AM switched to sports in May 2001 and back to music in August 2002. They dropped music again in March 2009 to carry CP 24's audio feed. Another sports format, TSN 1050, replaced the CP 24 feed in April 2011. So CHUM-AM really only switched back to music from sports once.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

June 7, 2015 10:57 am  #8

Dale Patterson wrote:

ShaneAlexander wrote:

CHUM-AM switched to sports in May 2001 and back to music in August 2002. They dropped music again in March 2009 to carry CP 24's audio feed. Another sports format, TSN 1050, replaced the CP 24 feed in April 2011. So CHUM-AM really only switched back to music from sports once.

That's right. Seems like they went back to music a couple more times. Forgot about the CP24 flip.

June 7, 2015 11:21 am  #9

When 1050 switched to the team, there were high level discussions between Corus and Chum about 640 not flipping to Mojo.  

We were a handshake away from forklifting the RCS server, including spots and contracts, from Yonge and St. Clair and shipping it up to Yonge and Finch, changing the ID's and relaunching as 640 CHUM.   Chum knew that 2 'guy' oriented formats would be a struggle in Toronto and was willing to work with Corus to try to prevent it.   Obviously it never happened, but it was the second time in its history that 640 played a pretty important role in someone elses format flip .

Both stations flipped within weeks of each other, we both knew it was happening, and the rest is history.

Had it not been for John Hayes I can't help but wonder if Mojo would still be around today.  I know I wouldn't be there, the writing was on the wall for me when we flipped from Talk640.  I'm the last person in the world that should be anywhere near a 'guy' talk station, especially one with sports. .    

One of my favourite lines about Hayes, and you'll have to figure it out for yourself gentle reader, but "He did for Corus Radio, what pantyhose did for finger F$^#@ing.".   And the reference is spot on.  

Erik Logan formerly XM & OWN was an honour roll graduate of the "Hayes school of Broadcast Management, ethics and Creativity".  'Nuff Said.

I'm going to go wash my keyboard now.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.