sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 11, 2022 12:45 pm  #1

CRTC Licences A Very Odd Radio Station - On Air For Only 2 Hrs. A Week

It's located in the very small town of Okno, Manitoba and will apparently broadcast only two hours a week - one in English, the other in German. And this Church sponsored outlet won't feature your typical playlist. In fact, there won't be a playlist at all.

According to the Commission:

"The new station would offer live broadcasts of religious services, weddings, funerals, baptisms and other such religious celebrations to the Christian parish of Okno and the surrounding areas."

I can see the slogan now - "Three Weddings & A Funeral." Or has that already been used? I'm guessing bar mitzvahs are not on the agenda...

CRTC Decision

January 11, 2022 2:35 pm  #2

Re: CRTC Licences A Very Odd Radio Station - On Air For Only 2 Hrs. A Week

Unusual, but not unprecedented in Canada. There’s a low-power television outlet in Abbotsford, BC called CFEG-TV that operates similarly. Per Wikipedia:

CFEG's programming consists of the church's English and German Sunday morning and evening services as well as its Wednesday morning German Bible study.

It still broadcasts in analog on Channel 19, and is not carried on cable.

It was set up in a pre-YouTube time, and I do wonder how much longer it might exist.

January 11, 2022 2:45 pm  #3

The really unusual thing about the Commission's decision here is, even though the Okno station will only be on the air a couple of hours a week, they are still required to be part of Alert Ready, i.e. invest in the expensive alert decoder (Sage ENDEC box) and have it in the air chain and connected to the 'net at all times.  The chances of an emergency alert going out during the station's broadcast hours are likely very, very slim, barring a severe weather event, child abduction etc. happening in that area or that province during those specific hours.

January 11, 2022 8:08 pm  #4

Forward Power wrote:

The really unusual thing about the Commission's decision here is, even though the Okno station will only be on the air a couple of hours a week, they are still required to be part of Alert Ready, i.e. invest in the expensive alert decoder (Sage ENDEC box) and have it in the air chain and connected to the 'net at all times.  The chances of an emergency alert going out during the station's broadcast hours are likely very, very slim, barring a severe weather event, child abduction etc. happening in that area or that province during those specific hours.

Wouldn't be a bad channel to leave on all day in case of an alert! Just because they only program 2 hours a week doesn't mean the transmitter won't be running. Like you may have alluded to, I assume emergency alerts received outside of their programming hours still need to air.