sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 6, 2022 5:38 pm  #1

Personalities Who Appear On Competing Stations At The Same Time

It used to be if you were with one radio station, you were pretty much exclusive to them unless you were either fired or left and could eventually work elsewhere. That doesn't seem to be the case with some broadcasters these days. 

There are a few who not only show up on two different stations from time to time, but often as many as three of them in the same week. I'm thinking of John Scholes, who does a Wednesday afternoon drivetime show on Sauga 960, appears on paid shows on GNR640 on Monday and Wednesday night, and also winds up on CFRB shilling for lawyers on the weekend. At least two of those are paid time programs (not sure about the Sauga thing) so maybe that explains his ubiquitous presence on so many places on the dial. 

Less clear is Marc Saltzman, who has been doing a Saturday weekend show about tech on 1010 for several years. Yet there he was as a special guest interview on Jeff McArthur's afternoon show on 640 Thursday afternoon. I guess there are exceptions made for freelancers, which he quite possibly is, but why would CFRB not object to one of their longtime hosts appearing on a direct competitor and why would 640 want him, when he airs regularly against them every weekend?

Are there any other so-called rotating regulars on Toronto-area stations at the same time? These two seem unique to me and it's kind of weird to hear them on competing outlets. 

January 6, 2022 7:16 pm  #2

Re: Personalities Who Appear On Competing Stations At The Same Time

While not technically in the same market, didn’t J Michael Wilson host weekend mornings on Buffalo’s WGR, while he also hosted swing shifts on Toronto’s CKFH, in the early ‘70s?
Dale Patterson would know.

January 6, 2022 7:24 pm  #3

Carmi Levy (sp?) is often called on to talk about tech matters on CFRB. Not sure if he is only on Bell owned media stations or not.

January 6, 2022 8:24 pm  #4

Norman peters wrote:

Carmi Levy (sp?) is often called on to talk about tech matters on CFRB. Not sure if he is only on Bell owned media stations or not.

No, I think you're correct. He's been on other non-Bell stations, as well, including 640.

January 7, 2022 8:08 am  #5

Damian wrote:

While not technically in the same market, didn’t J Michael Wilson host weekend mornings on Buffalo’s WGR, while he also hosted swing shifts on Toronto’s CKFH, in the early ‘70s?
Dale Patterson would know.

As I remember it, J. MIchael Wilson did Saturday mornings at CKFH for a short time, then went to WGR another brief stint. But he was not on both at the same time.

Don Biefer told me that he used to do a Sunday night shfft at CHAM Hamilton, ending at midnight. Then he drove at breakneck speed to Toronto where he did the 1-6 a.m. shift at CFTR. He says he was never late and never got a ticket.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram