sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 5, 2022 6:38 am  #1

Bell Let's Talk spot is bland corporate PR

Listening to Moore In The Morning on this Wednesday and I heard the spot for the annual Bell Let's Talk day coming up this January 26th.

Nothing wrong with the voice actors but the copy is generic and lacks any emotional impact or real feeling. It also speaks volumes, pun intended, about Bell's huge blind spot when it comes to this one day and the way they protect their bottom line at the cost of their employees mental health.

January 5, 2022 10:02 am  #2

Re: Bell Let's Talk spot is bland corporate PR

Bell has fooled a lot of people with this...a telecommunications and media company is the very epitome of mental illness and stress which it places on its customers and employees every day...

January 5, 2022 10:58 am  #3

Bingo.  As someone who has lived with depression, anxiety and occasional panic attacks over the last ten years, I have hated this campaign since day one.  Charlie described it perfectly, and that's how it has always been for this bottom-of-the-barrel, piece of garbage conglomerate that does this country absolutely no good.  Running this campaign this year is completely inappropriate and then some, especially given how so many of us in Ontario are reaching absolute rock bottom due to current events and are bound to totally explode upon the smallest trigger.

Seriously, if Bell is once again going to talk the talk and not actually walk the walk, this whole nightmare of a campaign will be a massive slap in the face for every Canadian who lives with any mental illness or mood disorder.  Same if anybody takes to social media and parrots Bell's messages - if you share the hashtag or any of their Facebook material etc., you are also a virtue-signalling hypocrite and fail to realize how insulting your (and Bell's) empty/meaningless messages are to the 20% or more of us in Canada who live with illnesses such as depression, anxiety disorders, panic disorders, bipolar, schizophrenia, and so on.

If this corporation truly and genuinely gave a rat's arse about the mental health and well-being of all of us, especially their staff, I would expect that they would a) not fire experienced media professionals simply because they're paid too much, and b) fork over a hell of a lot more MH funding than the drop in the bucket that's allotted each year.  A few million bucks a year (that probably has all kinds of conditions and quid pro quo attached to it) won't do a damn thing for Canada's mental health services which, like the rest of our healthcare system, are collapsing around us - they need literally billions of dollars in funding to get anywhere near being able to sufficiently serve the rising number of clients/patients of all ages who need MH care.

On January 26th, I'm sure as heck not talking about this.  You shouldn't either.

January 5, 2022 11:08 am  #4

Hey F.P.: Sorry to hear things are so tough for you. Are you aware of 211? It's a free province-wide phone service designed to connect you to the right people who may be able to help you. You can also access it online at 211.ca.

I agree with you about the phoniness (or should that be phone-iness?) of Bell - if anything, they're the cause of depression! I hope you have a better 2022. 

January 9, 2022 4:22 pm  #5

Hey Forward Power, you are not alone. 

Forward Power wrote:

Bingo.  As someone who has lived with depression, anxiety and occasional panic attacks over the last ten years, I have hated this campaign since day one.  Charlie described it perfectly, and that's how it has always been for this bottom-of-the-barrel, piece of garbage conglomerate that does this country absolutely no good.  Running this campaign this year is completely inappropriate and then some, especially given how so many of us in Ontario are reaching absolute rock bottom due to current events and are bound to totally explode upon the smallest trigger.

Seriously, if Bell is once again going to talk the talk and not actually walk the walk, this whole nightmare of a campaign will be a massive slap in the face for every Canadian who lives with any mental illness or mood disorder.  Same if anybody takes to social media and parrots Bell's messages - if you share the hashtag or any of their Facebook material etc., you are also a virtue-signalling hypocrite and fail to realize how insulting your (and Bell's) empty/meaningless messages are to the 20% or more of us in Canada who live with illnesses such as depression, anxiety disorders, panic disorders, bipolar, schizophrenia, and so on.

If this corporation truly and genuinely gave a rat's arse about the mental health and well-being of all of us, especially their staff, I would expect that they would a) not fire experienced media professionals simply because they're paid too much, and b) fork over a hell of a lot more MH funding than the drop in the bucket that's allotted each year.  A few million bucks a year (that probably has all kinds of conditions and quid pro quo attached to it) won't do a damn thing for Canada's mental health services which, like the rest of our healthcare system, are collapsing around us - they need literally billions of dollars in funding to get anywhere near being able to sufficiently serve the rising number of clients/patients of all ages who need MH care.

On January 26th, I'm sure as heck not talking about this.  You shouldn't either.

never worked ever, in radio

January 9, 2022 6:29 pm  #6

I am no Bell fan, or apologist for that matter, but I find it odd that people on here who say they suffer from mental illness absolutely refuse to be involved in this. It's obviously a ploy by Bell to gain some corporate brownie points and in light of how they actually treat their own employees who suffer from mental illness, they are certainly hypocrites. My gut reaction might be "screw Bell" but because I actually know people who will benefit from Bell Let's Talk, I will support them. It's a forest for the trees thing to me. I mean, it's a serious problem and people need help. So yeah, screw Bell but help those in need in spite of them .