sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 4, 2022 10:54 pm  #1

New CBC TV Sitcom Has A Radio Angle

I rarely watch CBC shows, as many here know, but I was intrigued by the reviews for "Son of a Critch" that debuted Tuesday night. One of the reasons - a small part of it takes place at a radio station. The main character's father is a ridiculous reporter for VOCM. 

It didn't focus much on that aspect, but I was curious enough to at least watch the first episode. It wasn't that great and I likely won't be back for more, but there were a few scenes in the station that were kind of fun to see, including some of the vintage equipment. (It takes place during the protagonist's childhood decades ago.)

Adding to the unusual aspect - VOCM is a real radio station located in St. John's, Nfld., where the series takes place - and the main character lives right next door to the studios. 

I suspect the producers had to get permission from the place to use the name and logo, and it makes sense that they would - VOCM is one of the oldest stations in the province and was around before Newfoundland even officially joined Canada. 

One small quibble - VOCM has been at 590 AM practically since its sign-on in 1936, and one shot of a radio tuned into it in the family's kitchen clearly shows the dial tuned to around 1400. Only someone in radio would notice that!

If you're curious about this show, it's available free on CBCGem.ca.

January 5, 2022 2:01 pm  #2

Re: New CBC TV Sitcom Has A Radio Angle

I watched Son of a Critch last night, gave it  a 6 out of 10.  Last nights program was the pilot so I will give it a few more views.

Casting for the program was good, the young Critch, his friend and mother were all good choices.  I did like the element of the first day of school, the two moose getting killed by a car right in front of the house and the radio station. And the hilarious dinner scene when the father comments on eating steak the first day of school (it was boiled moose meat from the accident). During dinner when eating, he pulls something out of his mouth and says, looks like I got a bit of the windshield.  Then the rest of the family are looking at their plates and under the meat to see if there was any more glass,   I really laughed at that.  A few other scenes where funny as well. 

I did like the elements of east coast Newfoundland charm from the characters, the bullying and the fact that Critch and the one boy of colour at the school had no friends but also the fact that the little Critch, and the immigrant student weren't victims and were tougher and smarter than thought.  Taking the insult style of Don Rickles on the Johnny Carson clip was interesting but ultimately the wrong thing to do. 

Didn't like what CBC always seems to do with the unnecessary Canadianizing in some scenes.  Hey the audience is well aware where the show is done.  It will be interesting to see how this program does over the next 13 weeks and if Lionsgate has success selling it around the world. 

The VOCM frequency might have been accurate since VOCM had six or seven other AM stations across the province that all had regular "C" call letters but on air used the VOCM brand.  It seems that the  station next to the Critch household was one of the smaller outlaying stations which would have a different frequency than the main VOCM in St. John's.   

January 5, 2022 3:03 pm  #3

Wasn't there a super right off the top of the show that noted it was taking place in St. John's itself? Therefore, VOCM would have been at 590. (And did they really have such extensive other properties around the province? They were most likely to be repeaters, which would not require a full studio if any at all.) Either way, I'll admit it's a nitpicky detail that stood out to me, but would really be irrelevant to most. 

I have no idea what the TV schedules were like in Newfoundland in those days, but would Johnny Carson be on so early in the evening when the kid was turning the channels on the TV set? Unless they were showing it at around 8 or 9 PM (before his bedtime), which would be unusual for a late night show, it would be on quite late in that province, considering it's on at 11:30 PM Eastern and there were no pre-feeds in those days. (That would be 1 AM Nfld. time.)

And I'm not quite sure what year this takes place, but how many TV channels were there in St. John's at the time? Looks like he went through a few of them, all adjacent to each other, since every time he turned the dial, another station was there in consecutive order. Perhaps they had cable by that time. Hard to say. 

Again, nitpicky, but it shows you where my mind goes for stuff like this!

January 5, 2022 4:47 pm  #4

Good points RA.  My recollection is that Danny Williams was a principal shareholder in Avalon Cable,  the cable company that served St. John's - he became very wealthy and eventually became premier of Nfld/Labrador.  So there would have been cable in the 80's.  There would not have been a pre-feed of Carson.  I think Geoff Stirling's NTV may have carried Carson locally.   For what it's worth, I find with CBC comedies, a dumbing down at times.  Everything and everyone is exaggerated - almost cartoon-like.  So I've not been a big fan of CBC TV comedies over the past number of years. But I will give the show another look, because there was a bit of charm, in terms of some of the colloquial terms.  My wife did not find the nuns that outrageous...she having attended a Catholic girl's school in the 50's and 60's.   Mike Critch, would have been 100 years of age - this year.  So he would have been nearly 50  Mark Critch was born.  He was a colourful crime reporter on VOCM who often used the phrase "details are scant".   I haven't been able to locate any audio of his reports. but there are a number of good newspaper accounts of the man when he passed away a few years ago.  He may have been larger than life and the moose report may not have been that outrageous.    I will borrow Mark's book of the same name from the Toronto Public Library - and see if the wit in the book was less over the top.  

Last edited by tvguy (January 5, 2022 4:49 pm)

January 5, 2022 6:50 pm  #5

Actually you are right.  The Super at the beginning of the show does say St. John's 1986.  However in the voice over at the very beginning and Critch says his dad works at the radio station next door, they show the radio in the kitchen and the station showing is around 590, but a few minutes later when grandpa says to turn up the radio when the father is reporting live the frequency on the radio is now showing around 1420, so this is not only the wrong frequency but a flaw with continuity.

I was wondering about Johnny Carson as well and have no idea what time it was shown in Newfoundland.  The program if on at 9pm is early but 1am is awfully late, and who would watch through the week at 1am? If they carried Carson locally on NTV they could have been showing the program in prime time but delayed by one day. 

Son of Critch is a bit over the top in some scenes but as Bill Brioux  mentions in his review the programs style is similar to Wonder Years which also did the same with exaggeration from the memory of a kid,

January 6, 2022 9:56 pm  #6

The show debuted to very promising numbers, according to Bill Brioux.

Son of a Critch! 740,000 watch CBC sitcom debut live

January 7, 2022 3:25 pm  #7

I worked in St Johns in 1976 and VOCM was the predominant station in the market at that time. I shared an apartment with a guy who was the swing announcer there and they did indeed wear those yellow jackets, I remember them well. I had an interview with the PD at his request , but was told my long hair and moustache didn't fit their image  , if I cleaned up, to come back and speak with him lol. I left the Rock to take a gig in Charlottetown shortly after, the former roommate forged my name on my income tax refund and stole it as I would come to find out later. He could be still there for all I know now. 

January 11, 2022 11:50 pm  #8

On the  Jan 11th telecast there were several scenes with the station’s mobile cruiser.  “ VOCM 590” was clearly visible on the vehicle.

January 12, 2022 1:29 am  #9

tvguy wrote:

On the  Jan 11th telecast there were several scenes with the station’s mobile cruiser.  “ VOCM 590” was clearly visible on the vehicle.

I enjoyed tonight’s episode a lot more than the first one.

January 12, 2022 4:31 pm  #10

MJ Vancouver wrote:

tvguy wrote:

I enjoyed tonight’s episode a lot more than the first one.

Agree MJ the second episode was better, but I didn't have a big LOL moment like I did with the first and the family dinner scene.  I did laugh though when father Critch would get out of shape about somebody phoning in the evening at 7:30 or 8pm  Not really sure why I found that funny.  I do like that Son of Critch has an element of innocence in many of the characters. 

Planning to watch the new CTV sitcom Children Ruin Everything tonight which may have some promise. Sure aren't many new sitcoms that last anymore. 

January 13, 2022 3:38 pm  #11

Those who like this show would have been interested in Mark Critch's appearance on Evan Solomon's national radio show Thursday. During the interview, Critch revealed several unusual aspects to his sitcom that only he would know:

-He plays his own father in the show, which is odd enough. But the producers not only recreated his childhood home, using some props from the actual place, but also weaved in pieces of his dad's own clothing in his wardrobe on the show. Even the glasses he wears belonged to his late father, with the prescription changed to match the son's current eyesight. 

-When he goes out on a radio report for VOCM, where his father worked as a reporter, he wears the red blazer his dad had when he went out on a story. 

-The premiere episode had a strange story about a moose being hit on the main road, an event that really happened. Critch says every word of that report was used in the show, although he admits to adding the line, "Two people were killed, one seriously," because he thought it was a funny line.

-He never knew his grandfather, who died when his dad was just a boy. So he made up a character he would have wanted him to be like, and the role went to Malcolm McDowell. 

I wasn't overwhelmed by the show, but those details certainly help to show how they really strived for accuracy. I'd like to see more stories in the radio station, but clearly the focus is on the family - who really did live next door to the VOCM studios. 

February 28, 2022 3:08 pm  #12

Season 1 isn't done, but it will already return for another year. 

‘Son Of A Critch’ Renewed For Season 2 At CBC

February 28, 2022 4:07 pm  #13

Not surprised.  What else do they have in the pipeline that will draw viewers?  We stopped watching after 2nd or 3rd episode.  I found the writing/plot lines to be tedious. Perhaps others will weigh in.  Anyone else on the Big Yellow Board watched all of the episodes and is it "must see" TV for you?

March 23, 2023 8:49 am  #14

RadioActive wrote:

Season 1 isn't done, but it will already return for another year. 

‘Son Of A Critch’ Renewed For Season 2 At CBC

And now a third year is coming. Funny how it was a U.S. site that broke this story!

‘Son Of A Critch’ Renewed For Season 3 By CBC

March 23, 2023 5:13 pm  #15

I have watched the entire series. I worked in St. Johns in 76-77 and shared a house with one of the jocks from VOCM. I worked at rival Q93. I remember well the hosts having to wear those red blazers during remotes. I ridiculed my then room mate as often as possible.