sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 20, 2016 9:24 am  #1

Pat Cardinal

CJAY's Gerry Forbes posted on his twitter feed that Pat has passed.  Awful sad news.  

I hadn't seen him in a while, but following his facebook feed he was surrounded by friends and seemed to be squeezing every drop out of the life he had.

RIP buddy, and thank you.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

April 20, 2016 9:29 am  #2

Re: Pat Cardinal

Of all the dimwitted assholes in this business that I've worked for he was one of the least asshole-y. RIP my brother.

April 20, 2016 9:31 am  #3

As I said on my Facebook feed, he's probably already had the first argument with the big guy, telling him to go "pound sand" .  

I owe Pat a ton, and he was always decent and generous with his time and talent.  One of the true 'radio guys' in this business.   He lived and loved it 24/7, always open to talk about any part of it.

April 20, 2016 9:41 am  #4

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

April 20, 2016 9:45 am  #5

As Per Dale's message above:

OBITUARY — PATRICK CARDINAL

Bell Media extends its deepest condolences to the family, friends, and colleagues of Bell Media Radio Edmonton General Manager Patrick (Pat) Cardinal. Cardinal passed away last night in Vancouver at the age of 54 after a two-year battle with cancer.

“Pat loved radio, an industry to which he dedicated his entire career and worked tirelessly to shape and grow, earning the deep respect and admiration of his industry colleagues and peers,” said Stewart Meyers, Vice-President, Bell Media Radio Alberta. “Pat’s creativity and vision have had a profound and positive impact on the stations and staff of Bell Media Radio Edmonton, as well as the numerous people and lives he touched across Canadian radio operations. Pat was a unique character and a ferocious competitor, yet one who always paused to enjoy a laugh. We are deeply saddened by this loss. He will be sorely missed.”

Born and raised in Winnipeg, Cardinal began his radio career in 1979 at CJRL Radio in Kenora, ONT., before heading back westward to Winnipeg in 1981, where he spent six years with CFRW. He continued to zig-zag the country, with stints in Vancouver, Hamilton, ONT., Edmonton, and Toronto before heading west once again to Vancouver. In 2003, Cardinal was back in Toronto in the role of Station Manager for CISS-FM/CJAQ-FM. In 2006, he worked as Operations Manager for Newcap Radio Group Edmonton until 2008, followed by a role as Program Manager for Newcap Alberta. In 2012, Cardinal was named General Manager for Astral Radio’s Edmonton stations (later acquired by Bell Media) including 100.3 The Bear, 104.9 VIRGIN RADIO, and TSN 1260.

Capping off what was a tremendous career, Cardinal will be posthumously inducted into the Broadcast Hall of Fame during Canadian Music Week on May

April 20, 2016 9:52 am  #6

Sad news. 

He treated me well while I was doing the co-op at Talk640 and Q. We shared some great talks. 

Rest well, Patrick. 

April 20, 2016 11:18 am  #7

I worked with Pat for a coupla years back in his radio infancy.  Bright eyed, bushy-tailed and talented...I am so sorry that those who loved and respected him have to face this reality today.

April 20, 2016 11:23 am  #8

I ended up going on a talent scouting trip with him to Montreal, and rather than fly or take the train, we took his car, and it was a field trip I'll never forget.  Blasting music, exchanging radio war stories, scanning the dials, joking and reviewing talent..  amazed at how bad and how good some of the voices were in the other markets... and then we got to Montreal.. .

He certainly knew how to live, and was more than happy to pull you along for the ride .  Working with him, or competing against him, he forced your a-game.  He'll be missed.

April 20, 2016 1:58 pm  #9

sad news. the only interactions I had with him (when i worked at 640) were pleasant.

April 20, 2016 5:53 pm  #10

[By Marsha Lederman]

As many of you probably know by now, Pat Cardinal passed away last night. This is not an official obituary, which I will post later, but something I wrote for the industry.

The Canadian radio and music industry has lost one of its greatest brains and most passionate advocates. Longtime radio announcer, programmer and executive Patrick Cardinal died Tuesday night, two years after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He was 54.

Born in Winnipeg, Patrick Cardinal began his radio career in 1979 at CJRL in Kenora, Ontario and held numerous positions first on-air, then in programming and management, in many Canadian markets. Career highlights included bringing the Howard Stern Show to Q107 in Toronto and helping to launch the JACK FM format first in Vancouver, then Toronto. Most recently, Cardinal was General Manager for Bell Media’s Edmonton stations including 100.3 The Bear, 104.9 Virgin Radio and TSN 1260.

As he made his way across the country and up the broadcast ladder, Cardinal brought a deep voice to the airwaves, a deep knowledge to his programming decisions and a deep passion for radio to the office every day. His influence is deep and wide; he has mentored countless young broadcasters, and has made Canadian radio more exciting – for those who work in it and those who listen to it.

“Pat made great radio, he caused waves and was someone I preferred to work with rather than compete against,” says Ross Winters, Director of Programming for the Jim Pattison Broadcast Group – and a longtime friend of Cardinal’s. “When I visited Pat a few times in the past week he wanted to talk about radio and the stations that I work with. At one point Pat said, ‘I am lying here and I know more about everyone's radio stations and radio companies then anybody else because everyone comes in here and tells me stuff, that's gotta be worth something,’ which he said with a smile.”

Says Jim “JJ” Johnston, another longtime Canadian radio executive and friend of Cardinal’s: “He was a giant through all of this and an inspiration to all in his battle, and well before that. He was fun, funny, smart, passionate, mischievous, talented, fearless, and kept his sense of humour right to the end.”

Sony Music Entertainment (Canada)’s Warren Copnick says “Today we lost a man who fought a most courageous battle with terrible disease but in the process re affirmed the strength, life and passion he had shown so many over the years in his incredible professional accomplishments to his warmth and kind hearted friendships,” says Copnick, Director, A&R / National Promotion radio- video. “He will be missed by the countless number of people whose lives in the music industry he touched as a teacher, mentor and inspiration. Radio upstairs is much better this am. It’s not goodbye its Later, Pat!”

On Monday, what would turn out to be the final full day of his life, Cardinal learned that he will be inducted into the Canadian Broadcast Hall of Fame at Canada Music Week on May 5. He was overjoyed by this news and deeply moved.

Cardinal died Tuesday night in Vancouver; he was with his son Kael Cardinal and surrounded by friends. AC/DC was playing softly in the background.

Details for a celebration of life in Toronto will soon be announced.

April 20, 2016 7:47 pm  #11

It's been awhile since we had the great pleasure of Pat running up and down the halls at Y and Energy in Hamilton.  Pat had one of the best sets of ears and could nail processing on any radio station - a real art.   I miss those days of him coming in to my office and grabbing handfuls of ju-jubes - I think thats how McCormick in London stayed open for so long.  About once every few weeks - I'd come in and 2 HUGE bags of JuJubes would be at my door.  Great pleasure to have know Pat and been a friend.  You are gone too soon young man.  You will be very missed.
-wds

April 30, 2016 10:10 pm  #12

Just noticed this nice tribute piece from the Edmonton Journal that some might like to read:

Edmonton radio executive Patrick Cardinal lived a life full of friends