sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 3, 2022 8:30 pm  #1

Sportsnet: New York's Sports Station?

Sportsnet is not producing a Canadian broadcast of tonight's nationally televised Oilers/Rangers matchup, they're running the MSG feed in its place. Can't recall such a thing occurring anytime recently. I assume it's either a cost cutting move or they don't have enough staff due to covid cases at Rogers & Dome Productions?

You'd think they could at least use MSG's video feed but have Canadian play-by-play and colour (note the "u") commentary? 

Very strange. 

January 3, 2022 9:12 pm  #2

Re: Sportsnet: New York's Sports Station?

I noticed this too.  I mentioned before, Habs road games have been called off a monitor for about a month.
Another cost cutting measure by Sportsnet?
Or safety reasons.
The regular Sportsnet crew were on Long Island and in New Jersey this past weekend calling the games.

January 3, 2022 9:27 pm  #3

Ale Ont wrote:

The regular Sportsnet crew were on Long Island and in New Jersey this past weekend calling the games.

Well that's odd. Members of their crew must've tested positive there. Makes no sense to turn around and go home when there's another game today. 

I guess this means tonight's broadcast can't count towards their Canadian content requirements. 

January 4, 2022 3:12 am  #4

TVA Sports used the MSG video with english graphics with french commentary.  Unlike Sportsnet they did do full pre, post and intermission shows, not they had much choice.

January 4, 2022 8:10 am  #5

Sportsnet announced Monday afternoon that the on air crew tested positive for COVID and they decided to sub the MSG broadcast.

January 4, 2022 11:14 am  #6

The MSG broadcast team announced right off the top that the Canadian crew had  gone home  out of caution due to Covid  

January 4, 2022 2:10 pm  #7

Thanks for the info.  I was watching Wheel.

January 4, 2022 2:50 pm  #8

fyshtalk wrote:

The MSG broadcast team announced right off the top that the Canadian crew had  gone home  out of caution due to Covid  

I wonder if they tried to be more impartial? Did you notice?