sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 24, 2021 3:15 pm  #1

Breakfast Television takes the rest of the year off

BT has it posted on their website that they will resume airing on January 4, 2022. Does anyone else find this move bizarre? Is it a cost cutting or staffing issue of having too many people off at  once?

December 24, 2021 3:42 pm  #2

Re: Breakfast Television takes the rest of the year off

Interesting/odd indeed. In past years, though, the Christmas to New Year's stretch has been a bit of a dead zone for BT with few guests, few events to cover, etc. and, I think, some years, an abbreviated version of the broadcast and some re-rolls/"best ofs"? How I read their comment of "BT is extending its holiday break so we can play it safe after the holidays" is keeping people at home from any family gatherings rather than converging in-studio right away, but it seems like a bit of spin.

Last edited by AspectRatio (December 24, 2021 3:42 pm)

December 24, 2021 5:38 pm  #3

When I worked at CityPulse, BT was off only on the stat days, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day.
There was no CityPulse Tonight on Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day had only CityPulse Tonight airing. Skeleton staff, but time and half plus a day off in lieu.   AND we had Christmas dinner provided for us, usually from Coleman's Deli, with the best corned beef sandwiches!

December 25, 2021 2:33 am  #4

Global does this too for its local morning shows across the country (except BC, Calgary, and Edmonton - they are usually on with their own local editions during Christmas).

In previous years, Global just aired replacement programs between Christmas and the first regular day back after New Years, but I believe last year (and possibly this coming week), a national version of Global News Morning from Toronto aired in its place until all the locals came back.