sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 20, 2021 5:17 pm  #1

All Sports Stations Contemplate What's Next With Omicron

For TSN 1050 and the Fan 590, it's deja vu all over again. Once again, NHL and NBA games involving the Leafs and Raptors have been cancelled or postponed. And once again, they'll both have huge 4-hour holes to fill in their schedules. For now, it's only for a week or so. But if the cancellations continue, it could be a very bleak January for those formats. 

At least the SportsNet and TSN TV versions can vamp with either live below-the-border hockey or else show some kind of best-ofs like they did last year. But it's not sustainable and I wonder if they're hoping that the NHL decides to cancel plans for its players to head to Beijing for the Olympics. Expect to hear a decision on that very, very soon.

My guess? There's no way they'll let these million-dollar players head to a place where they could possibly be in danger from both COVID (with an up to 5-week quarantine) or the malevolent Chinese Communist government, which has proven it doesn't care what the world thinks. 

Meanwhile, TSN continues to run spots for the World Jrs., which I believe is still on. But that could change, as well. How they'll fill that time if it's cancelled is anyone's guess. But it would not surprise me if there's already been backroom discussions about all this. 

Either way, it could wind up being a tough holiday for the sports channels, with worry about COVID cancellations - and potentially, not much to show for it. 

December 20, 2021 8:13 pm  #2

Re: All Sports Stations Contemplate What's Next With Omicron

Thank goodness that 108th Grey Cup went off without much disruption last week....

BTW, Canada has pulled out of the World Juniors...  It is reported that the tournament will still go ahead on Boxing Day with an alternate team taking Canada's place....

Pandemic?... What Pandemic?

December 20, 2021 9:27 pm  #3

World juniors are still on.  It’s the Spengler Cup in Davos that they have pulled out of.  World Juniors are in Edmonton again this year.

Official website is here. 

https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2022/wm20

Last edited by Juggie1 (December 20, 2021 9:28 pm)

December 20, 2021 9:44 pm  #4

sorry, my bad...   thanks for the correction!