sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 16, 2016 7:33 am  #1

Canadian Radio Directory

I would like to introduce readers of SOWNY to Canadian Radio Directory: http://www.canadianradiodirectory.com/
I developed this web site over the last several months. Canadian Radio Directory is designed for:

• radio enthusiasts
  • travellers
  • DX'ers

Some may remember I published two editions of Radio Ontario through the Ontario DX Association back in the '90s. These guides listed all the FM, AM & TV stations in the province. Since undertaking these publications, I have often thought about making a guide for all of Canada hence CRD.
Unlike most other lists you may have encountered, CRD has the station name as well as the official call sign.
Stations marked as 'new' have been approved for broadcasting but are not yet known to be on air.
Stations that broadcast illegally [without a licence] are not listed. Tyendinaga ON and Kimmirut NU come to mind.
CRD lists stations in HD and features an accurate list of CBC/IRC outlets.
Clicking on the name will take you to the station web site. In the case of CBC/IRC stations, it will take you to the respective CBC regional station site.
I hope you will find Canadian Radio Directory useful and if you do, help by keeping it up to date. Feel free to contact CRD if you notice any updates, corrections, format changes etc. Take it with you. CRD works on iPhones so one can check it out 'in the field' [I believe Androids are ok too]. The pages can be printed as well.
If it is licensed and on air, its in CRD no matter how big or small.
Finally, enjoy listening to radio.

Cheers

andysradio

Last edited by andysradio (April 16, 2016 7:34 am)

April 17, 2016 11:22 pm  #2

Re: Canadian Radio Directory

Great job!!  That's fantastic!

I have one question.  What's CORB?  I see it beside some CBC stations.

April 18, 2016 9:37 am  #3

Thank You
Community Owned Re-Broadcaster

April 18, 2016 9:54 am  #4

Nicely done.  What a ton of work.  
Next step, make it all database driven

well done.

ig.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

April 18, 2016 2:30 pm  #5

Great stuff andysradio.  I am wondering if you can adjust the link for CFWE in Alberta to www.cfweradio.ca. 
The current link takes us to our parent site which isn't updated very often.   Thanks for including us, we really appreciate it!   - Boyd

April 18, 2016 5:26 pm  #6

ig wrote:

What a ton of work.  

I'll say. Took a number of winters to get it all done

ig wrote:

make it all database driven

How do you know it is not now . Yes that will be the next version - a few winters away. Maybe I will make it so it can be sorted by frequency too. Maybe

Boyd Leader wrote:

can adjust the link for CFWE in Alberta to
[url=http://www.cfweradio.ca[/url]

www.cfweradio.ca[/url] [/quote[/url]]

Yes I will do that in the next few days. - there are quite a few CFWE's!
tnx for the comments - appreciated

Last edited by andysradio (April 18, 2016 5:29 pm)

April 18, 2016 7:06 pm  #7

I peeked at your code .
When you get it to the DB level and can bulk import data, you might also consider transmitter tower co-ordinates, n' maps and
stuff.  But where you are now is pretty great.  At least you have the bulk data, and that's the heavy lifting part.

andysradio wrote:

How do you know it is not now

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

April 19, 2016 8:17 am  #8

andysradio thank you sir.  We cover most of the northern half of the province with our CFWE's.

April 19, 2016 10:03 am  #9

Huge work project! Well done andysradio...love the whole map-thing. Thanks for this.

Last edited by Roseee (April 19, 2016 10:03 am)

Talk to the hand!

April 19, 2016 2:51 pm  #10

Boyd Leader wrote:

Great stuff andysradio.  I am wondering if you can adjust the link for CFWE in Alberta to www.cfweradio.ca. 
The current link takes us to our parent site which isn't updated very often.   Thanks for including us, we really appreciate it!   - Boyd

Didn't even know there was an AB equivalent to Saskatchewan's MBC. Impressed. Do Manitoba and BC have anything simlar?

April 19, 2016 3:12 pm  #11

NCI for MB
CFNR for BC

April 20, 2016 7:43 pm  #12

Great work on this Andy - very helpful.  Sent the link to our graduating graduate and post-grad students - so it comes at a valuable time in their career.
Many thanks.
-wds