sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 2, 2021 2:03 pm  #1

Cdn. Sportscaster Brian Williams Retiring After 50 Yrs. In TV/Radio

He's one of the deans of Canadian sportscasting, but it's game over for Brian Williams. The man who started at CHUM and moved on to CFRB, the CBC, CTV and TSN, officially announced on Thursday he's ending his storied career behind the mic. He'll get a special salute at this year's Grey Cup on Dec. 12th, before he heads off to other "fields" of endeavour. 

Brian Williams Announces Retirement Following a 50-Year Broadcasting Career

December 2, 2021 3:47 pm  #2

Re: Cdn. Sportscaster Brian Williams Retiring After 50 Yrs. In TV/Radio

Sadly, my first thought was is it true retirement or "Bell retirement" ?

December 2, 2021 4:47 pm  #3

I Used Carts wrote:

Sadly, my first thought was is it true retirement or "Bell retirement" ?

Brian is 75.  

December 2, 2021 7:52 pm  #4

Never a fan...  

December 3, 2021 9:07 am  #5

torontostan wrote:

I think a retirement is well earned and probably past due by a few years, and that Brian wanted to get to 50 years before making it official. 

He confirmed on CFRB's morning show Friday that he did, in fact, want to hit the 50-year mark before leaving.

December 12, 2021 5:13 pm  #6

TSN just showed a real nice tribute to Brian Williams.  Showing many highlights of his career at CBC, CTV/TSN and interviews with Lloyd Robertson, Donovan Bailey, Christine Sinclair, other broadcasters and athletes.  James Duthie interviewed Brian live and Williams to his credit first thanked Dick Smyth for giving him his start at CHUM in 1970, also thanked CFRB where he went after two years at CHUM.  Nice that he didn't forget about his few years in radio.  Sure hope this tribute surfaces somewhere on line, worth a watch.