sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 16, 2021 4:04 pm  #1

Exclusive Preview: The New CKFH Tribute Site

Dale Patterson is not only the creative genius behind Rock Radio Scrapbook, Canada's best online airchecks site, but he's also the guy who founded the original SOWNY Board several decades ago, as well as being the author of a number of books. Frankly, I don't know where he finds the time.

That time lately seems to have been taken up researching and planning a tribute site to one of his favourite radio stations - the Big 143, aka CKFH Toronto. Dale worked there when he was younger and I suspect that's when the radio bug was really biting. Like me, he remembers the station for its Top 40 days (although it was around a long time before that), featuring such great talent as Big G Walters, Don Daynard, Keith Hampshire, Rick "Allan" Moranis, Keith Elshaw and more, including valued SOWNY contributors John Donabie and Mike Marshall. 

They're all saluted on his newest site, which also contains the history of the station, pages of photos and articles, charts, logos and even some vintage coverage maps. But to me, the best part are the rare airchecks, letting you hear what the first real competitor to CHUM (after CKEY gave up trying) sounded like in its glory days. 

The CKFH Tribute Site Page officially goes live on Sunday - the 99th birthday of its late founder, Foster Hewitt. But Dale has kindly given SOWNY permission to offer you an early preview. It's free, it's pretty terrific and it's online now at the link below.

And stay tuned, because I'm told there's lots more coming. 

Thanks, Dale for the sneak peek. I'd say you're number one, but in keeping with 'FH, it might be better to say you're number 2!

The CKFH Tribute Site 

November 16, 2021 4:16 pm  #2

Re: Exclusive Preview: The New CKFH Tribute Site

Thanks RA. I've always wanted to do a tribute to one of my favourite stations growing up, and this is it. Hopefully this will lead to more CKFH airchecks and other items of interest surfacing. I'm especially looking for CKFH Charts from the '60s and of course more airchecks.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

November 16, 2021 5:56 pm  #3

Well done Dale. It’s great to have CKFH recognized for what it was. A very unique Top 40 alternative to CHUM.

November 16, 2021 6:48 pm  #4

Congratulations Dale!  Nice to see CKFH get the recognition and memories it deserves.  The Rock Radio Scrapbook just keeps getting better and better.