sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 12, 2021 8:15 pm  #1

When is news actually "breaking"

Seeing RAs post about illogical teasers used on CTV news, brings up one of my bugaboos. It is not one that I can recall that CFRB inflicts on us. When should the term "breaking news" actually be allowed to be said? Certainly not when reporting on already aired items. In my opinion, it should only be used when either the very first reporting of an event, especially when details are still sparse. The other time, which is probably the source of the term, is when a broadcast is actually interrupted. It may be a non news show, or it may be during  a news show that is mid broadcast. Anything else is simply a "developing story" or an "update" on a previous first report.

November 12, 2021 10:22 pm  #2

Re: When is news actually "breaking"

I agree. It's overused. CNN is the worst offender - practically every story is "breaking news." It loses its impact after a while. Better if it's used sparingly. 

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

November 12, 2021 11:20 pm  #3

Dale Patterson wrote:

I agree. It's overused. CNN is the worst offender - practically every story is "breaking news." It loses its impact after a while. Better if it's used sparingly. 

So true.  A new story that "breaks" in the afternoon is continually introduced as such, hour after hour into the evening schedule.

Last edited by Media Observer (November 13, 2021 3:27 pm)

November 13, 2021 9:26 am  #4

The morning shows really stretch it with "Breaking overnight" then proceed to report on what I saw on their 6:30 network newscast the night before. NBC, I'm talking about you. 

Last edited by zed (November 13, 2021 9:26 am)