sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 10, 2021 2:19 pm  #1

TVO To Air Documentary On Magic Shadows Host Elwy Yost

It took decades, but you have to wonder what Elwy Yost would think of seeing his old home network air a movie about him? That's the plan, when TVO presents a new documentary on the late Saturday night movie host. 

"Magic Shadows, Elwy Yost: A Life in Movies tells the story of a man who started his career as a teacher and ending up teaching generations of Ontarians how to watch films. Magic Shadows brings together new and archival interviews with Canadian stars and personalities to pay tribute to Yost and the cinematic arts he championed."

It airs for the first time on Nov. 27th - appropriately, a Saturday night - with repeat airings on Nov. 29th and Dec. 2nd, along with free streaming on TVO.org.

TVO Original 'Magic Shadows, Elwy Yost: A Life in Movies' celebrates the life of Elwy Yost, Ontario’s beloved host of 'Saturday Night at the Movies'

(Thanks to Marc Weisblott's 12:36 for the link.) 

Last edited by RadioActive (November 10, 2021 2:23 pm)

November 10, 2021 2:47 pm  #2

Re: TVO To Air Documentary On Magic Shadows Host Elwy Yost

Years before his time with. TVO, Elwy was part of  game show on CBC. I don't recall the name of it or even what it was about.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

November 10, 2021 4:08 pm  #3

turkeytop wrote:

Years before his time with. TVO, Elwy was part of  game show on CBC. I don't recall the name of it or even what it was about.

You may be thinking of a show called "The Superior Sex." According to the CBC Archives:

"This Canadian game show pitted men and women against each other in a series of mini-competitions. Host Elwy Yost moderated each of the teams as they went head-to-head in activities such as golf putting, darts and quiz questions."

Sounds riveting. It ran for one season in 1961, which, given the description above, was likely one season too many. Kudos, though, to the CBC for using the word "Sex" in a title back in 1961. I doubt many other networks would have tried that in those sensitive days when you couldn't show a toilet on TV or have a husband and wife sleeping in the same bed.

[img]https://i.cbc.ca/1.5392979.1576096458!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/original_1180/superior-sex.jpg[/img]

The above is from a page on the CBC's website that outlines some of the Corp.'s more bizarre game show attempts, complete with pics of each one. 

Remember these retro CBC game shows?

November 10, 2021 4:29 pm  #4

A little more research shows that Yost was also a panelist on a CBC game show called "Flashback," described as 'a show that featured "persons, fads or objects once well-known but now in relative obscurity.' (Ironically, much like the show itself is now!) It ran for five years and Elwy was a sometimes-featured panelist.

[img]https://i.cbc.ca/1.5689897.1597697955!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/original_1180/elwy-yost.jpg[/img]

November 11, 2021 3:19 am  #5

Elwy hosted a serialized a CBC afternoon movie show aimed at a younger audience in the early sixties ,but the name of it escapes me. M-F, he'd intro and briefly background a classic  b/w horror or adventure film from the early thirties. He introduced me to The Claude Raines version of the Invisble Man, Karloff.s Frankenstein, Wolfman,the original The Phantom.of the Opera and others. 

November 28, 2021 12:38 am  #6

The documentary aired on Saturday night, and it was actually better than I expected - especially the stuff only I would like, such as seeing the CICA OECA station I.D., among other things. And yes, Polkaroo made an appearance, as well.

If you missed it, you can see it online here

Last edited by RadioActive (November 28, 2021 12:40 am)

November 28, 2021 1:55 am  #7

I remember on one of the Magic Shadows programs when Elwy introduced the show while sitting in a hot tub. Then he embarrassed himself when the water started to bubble.

Must have been something he ate. 

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.