sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 3, 2021 8:15 am  #1

A Tragic End For Our Dear Lisa Laflamme, Farewell CA

The headline implies either her death or she's leaving Canada.

It's "sponsored content" on Facebook and pops up multiple times a day, despite the fact that I've reported it as "fake news". If you read the content it suggests she violated her contract with CTV by promoting CBD and a product called Live Well CBD Gummies. I just don't believe it but Facebook keeps pushing it every time I sign on. So much for filtering out "fake news" unless it isn't?

A google search finds stories saying she's on medical leave after major abdominal surgery but the stories are all from so called "celebrity" sites. It sounds more plausible but who knows? I mean does anybody know why she's been away from the newsdesk for so long? 

November 3, 2021 9:36 am  #2

Re: A Tragic End For Our Dear Lisa Laflamme, Farewell CA

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/beware-of-cbd-gummy-ads-exploiting-household-names-to-defraud-consumers-experts-warn-1.5491666

Right from CTV.    These are fake, and I really hope she sues them for everything they got (as well CTV/Bell should sue).   I also think FB and others should be held to task as they need to screen their clients on this stuff, because this can and is hitting her credibility.   You are proving how FAKE NEWS works by even questioning it (because most don't).

As well, there has been zero statements on Lisa's health, but there was a mention from a creditable source regarding being exposed to covid 19 and protecting people around her by staying home.   That I can believe. 

I may not watch CTV nightly, but I know enough about Lisa, that I would question her forgetting her journalistic ethics by connecting to any product.  She's a professional in every way from her history, and I don't see her changing that over some CBD drug. 

Last edited by radiokid (November 3, 2021 9:37 am)

November 3, 2021 10:17 am  #3

This is an old and unfortunately possibly successful scam. The last time it surfaced, it involved Marilyn Denis for some reason. It claimed she was quitting broadcasting to start her own line of beauty products, and hey, wouldn't you love to order some? 

It's a pretty odious fraud and it doesn't surprise me that it's turned up again in a different form with another high-profile CTV personality.

From 2018:

Marilyn Denis says she is angry about online scam trying to con her fans 

November 3, 2021 10:25 am  #4

I've seen this "fake news" on practically everybody, including Trudeau and Gretzky. I've seen them on legitimate news sites, like CNN and The Star. Scam artists.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

November 3, 2021 10:45 am  #5

November 3, 2021 11:00 am  #6

I wish Lisa all the best, she's a top notch talent and has reported on challenging, interesting and sometimes the most heart breaking news stories with quiet authority and grace.

Re: the fake news... wouldn't it be great if the photos of golf great Dustin Johnson and Paulina Gretzky happily smiling and posing with Donald Trump at a Halloween party weren't real. Hard to see. Hard to unsee.

November 3, 2021 1:13 pm  #7

I've seen a bunch of these over the past little while.  I don't understand how they are able to do it without getting sued out of existence.  Hope one of the victims (or maybe even the corporation they work for) lawyers up and makes them pay.  One would think this would be pretty open and shut.

November 3, 2021 5:15 pm  #8

Peter the K wrote:

I've seen a bunch of these over the past little while.  I don't understand how they are able to do it without getting sued out of existence.  Hope one of the victims (or maybe even the corporation they work for) lawyers up and makes them pay.  One would think this would be pretty open and shut.

Exactly... how and why is this allowed to continue? Facebook bears a huge amount of responsibility for accepting these "sponsored" ads and keeping them going even after they've been identified as fake news/scams. 

Bell has lots of lawyers that should be all over this and shutting down the scamers and going after Facebook for selling the space. 

November 3, 2021 6:02 pm  #9

zed wrote:

Peter the K wrote:

Exactly... how and why is this allowed to continue? Facebook bears a huge amount of responsibility for accepting these "sponsored" ads and keeping them going even after they've been identified as fake news/scams. 

Bell has lots of lawyers that should be all over this and shutting down the scamers and going after Facebook for selling the space. 

Bell's probably busy making sure people's phones don't go forward this Sunday 😜

November 3, 2021 6:35 pm  #10

betaylored wrote:

Bell's probably busy making sure people's phones don't go forward this Sunday 😜